We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CPAP machines as carry on

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Haven...
reviews: 13
CPAP machines as carry on

Will my CPAP machine be considered exempt from carry-on restrictions on the small airplanes in Africa. I know weight considerations are paramount on these flights--so I don't want my luggage to be overweight.

8 replies to this topic
nyc
1. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

Only from photos of what this looks like, can't imagine weighs much?

Personally, I'd pack in your carryon bag, and if this is included with your main duffle that contains your cloths at checkin and you are overweight (in total), just advise what's inside and open bag to show Most doubtful they'll have you leave behind or even assess an overweight fee... which fee is based on Kg (not Lbs) at about $3-5/Kg.

Have never read a post re CPAP machines being an issue.

Edited: 4:05 pm, October 05, 2013
Grand Haven...
2. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

Thank you!

leyland
reviews: 3
3. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

If you need the battery they weigh heavy! A lot of these camps only have electric for a few hours, I struggled in a couple camps.

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

Yes, in many of the camps, which are not connected to maims power, the power tends to be turned off for most of the night. Even where there is mains power, outages are common, although there should be back-up generators avaiable.

Don't forget, Kenya operates on a 240 volt system. I would also advise use of a 'spike & surge' protector.

Grand Haven...
5. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

We are in Africa right now. I ended up buying a battery pack, which is a little heavy. I have carried the CPAP and battery on in a separate case and it has not been a problem. The battery has worked fine. All camps have recharging stations to use during the day when we are out on game drives. Thanks to all for your input.

Durham, North...
6. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

YES, it is exempt

I bought and used labels that stated it was a CPAP medical machine

if you want it in your possession on the flight, you may have to "fight" the stewardesses, as they will try to send it down to checked luggage.

ARRANGE for 24/7 AC power fro your room AHEAD OF TIME - places will usually give you a room that has power during the night - ENSURE that when you arrive, you get that room.

Most lodges shutdown and change the size of generators in use, twice a day, usually around 5 AM and 5 PM - you may be without power for 10 minutes.

TAKE A LONG EXTENSION CORD outlets are few and far between.

ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT AC ADAPTERS FOR ALL LOCATIONS YOU ARE VISITING,

CONTRARY TO STATED FACTS, a lot of places in Kenya, Zimbabwe and South Africa still use the old, large British.South African type 'M' plug

KENYA (same outlet shapes as ZIMBABWE) - 220 VAC WE FOUND MOSTLY OUTLET TYPE "M" and a few of type "G" during our ten of safaris in Kenya. M = 3 LARGE, ROUND blades in a Triangle The Type M, or South African, electrical plug is essentially a larger version of the Type D and is rated at 15 AMPS at 250 VOLTS. I FOUND TYPE M TO BE THE MOST COMMON PLUG IN SOUTHERN AFRICA, YOU MUST HAVE ADAPTER TYPE "M" FOR ANY SOUTHERN AFRICAN COUNTRY You will ONLY find the type M adapter in some African countries - NO where else in the world, and if it's not a type M, it will NOT work in 99% of South Africa nor in Botswana. You will NEVER find the Type M included in a Universal Adapter kit. (old) British Standard 546 (type M) - now often called the South African plug. We used this adapter. EVERY plug in the world will fit into this adapter G = 3 large FLAT Pins Type G plug is commonly known as the 13-amp plug, and technically known as the BS 1363 (British 13 A/230-240 V 50 Hz earthed and fused) I FOUND TYPE "G" TO BE THE SECOND MOST COMMON PLUG IN SOUTHERN AFRICA. BUT LESS THAN One FIFTEENTH as COMMON AS TYPE "M". Contrary to what some sites say, on safari, I saw only ONE type G outlet. We used this adapter. EVERY plug in the world will fit into this adapter But a Richard, guy that writes a Kenya travel book states that most all places use the Type G. D = NWG-14C - smaller, round legs, in a triangular shape Type D plug and receptacle is the BS 546 (5 Amp/250 V earthed) I ONLY SAW ONE OF THESE TYPE "D" OUTLETS IN A MONTH OF AFRICAN TRAVEL.

CPAPs run on 110- through 250 volts AC, 50-60 cycle

you can Google: complete david woodsmall cpap for more information

Edited: 1:33 pm, October 20, 2013
Durham, North...
7. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

I only use the alkaline batteries - while not light, they weigh a lot less than than the lead/acid type

Google: complete david woodsmall cpap

Durham, North...
8. Re: CPAP machines as carry on

NOTE: I have always been asked to take the CRAP out so TSA (or whomever) can see what it is.

Actually, I put mine through the x-ray in it;s own, marked carry-on case. The x-ray technician will then noticed it and make you open the carry-on and show some "inspector" after you pass through the security gate,

Edited: 12:08 am, March 18, 2014
Reply to: CPAP machines as carry on
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted