We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

hi,

I am debating which part of Nairobi to stay right now for the 2 full days I am spending there.

Plan to spend 1/2 day at Maasai Market, and the other 1.5 days doing touristy things at Karen/Langata

Option 1:

Westlands - walking distance to the Mall (now closed of course...) where supposedly there are many good restaurants e.g., Fogo Gaucho Churrascaria, Viking House etc?

Option 2:

Hurlingham Estate - walking distance to Yaya Center where they have Sunday Maasai Market (but i believe i can go to Nairobi CBD for this market as well on the same day)

Option 3:

Or should I consider staying in Karen/Langata instead - and commute to Nairobi CBD for part of the time?

Which will you choose and why?

Which are have better food options in the evening, safer to walk about if i want to get meals etc?

5 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

Considering recent tragic event @ Westgate, it isn't safe anywhere to walk around at night.

My vote for Karen/Langata since it has all the things you want to do & see ie shopping, sight seeing, restaurants, curio shops. You can always take taxi to town.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

The problem staying in Karen is the traffic to town is usually horrific. Hurlingham is closer and always quicker to town so you might want to factor that in your choice.

Westlands also has the other mall Sarit Centre. Probably more restaurants in Westlands/Parklands I think also. The new road from Westlands to town had improved traffic as well, if that is still the case anyways as I have not used that side for around a year now.

As said it is best not to wander around on foot at night but use a taxi from point A to B.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
3. Re: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

thanks both!

yes, i have heard abt the horrible traffic in nairobi. but am i right that it only happens on Monday - Friday working hours (i.e., 9 am ish and 3-4 pm ish)? so if you travel outside of this time frame, e.g., a Sunday, then u should likely have no problem? please advice. thanks!

how's the road and traffic situation from Westlands or Hurlingham to Karen/Langata? also bad on weekday?

nyc
4. Re: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

Traffic most areas starts at 6am and can continue well after 8pm Mon-Sat.

The only good time for less traffic is Sun morning as most people in church; by lunchtime it starts to build again many areas.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 86
5. Re: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?

Please avoid the CBD as much as you can because it's an awful place which is very congested, polluted,

and I get claustrophobia when I go there. Everything you need will be available at Ya Ya Center or Nakumatt Junction.

Reply to: Stay at Westlands or Hurlingham Estate?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted