We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bize-Minervois...
reviews: 42
Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

I hope not. If you do you are supporting the terrorists. Tourism is the life blood of Kenya would you take that away from a country which offers you so much? The wildlife of Kenya are under threat because of poaching and now the people of Kenya are being made to suffer by these people who are intimating that religion is their reason for the dreadful horrors they are committing. It is NOT religion it is pure terrorism. Don't let the people of Kenya down, don't cancel your holidays, never give in to terrorism. Stop these fanatics and stop the poachers. God bless Kenya

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

My husband and I were suppose to fly out tomorrow from San Francisco to Nairobi. We were only spending one night in Nairobi and then off to Sweetwaters, Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, and then a beach holiday in Mombasa. We cancelled our trip today and feel heartbroken but secure in our decision. Our safety comes first. We took out travel insurance and KLM agreed to let us rebook our trip at a future date to any destination and waived all fees. When the US Department advises all foreigners visiting Nairobi to "shelter in place," I believe we made the right decision. The tourist areas are considered relatively safe however militants have attacked foreigners before at their remote camps in the Mara. Once national security efforts improve and targets are hardened, we will definitely return. I hope in the very near future.

Edited: 11:43 pm, September 22, 2013
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 69
2. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

Kenya is just getting too dangerous and the amount of attacks has increased where next the airport or a tourist hotel. I have continued to support Kenya for many years and have experienced first hand getting robbed whilst visiting a game park and still returned but enough is enough and I will be looking at a country with fewer risks until the security situation improves.

Edited: 1:28 am, September 23, 2013
Fordingbridge...
reviews: 160
3. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

Each to their own. No so called terrorist will ever deter me from my travels to this wonderful country. We can't let these cowardly thugs claim victory.

Bize-Minervois...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

I agree Nicmeljones.

Bristol, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

We're returning to Kenya in November for 3 weeks - whilst this siege is a terrible tragedy for the people of Kenya, I/we wouldn't dream of cancelling as the terrorists have then won. Kenyan people have suffered enough, with no tourism it will make it even harder for them.

wyberton
reviews: 3
6. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

Would firstly like to say that we feel so sorry for those in Kenys who have lost family and friends. Its very easy for people to suggest that we should not let terrorists hold us to ransom over wether we go on holiday or not but i would like to know how many of you are actualy about to embark this coming week(as we are) It is very worrying and we are holding our nerve at the moment but will need to make a decision shortly. The reality is that even when this siege is over, what happens next! My concience is telling me we should not go as our family is very worried. I have spoken to Thomsons and at the moment they are saying all is fine....... Cant help but feel that they are bound to say this as they dont want everyone cancelling or trying to change their destinations. We are absoloutly gutted at having to make a decision but am increasingly worried about the situation.

Saint-Emilion...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

My husband and I returned from Kenya on Friday evening, we had been at the coast and only transited through Nairobi airport, however after the fire there the security was not as tight as it has been previously, and I worry now ( it being a potential target) about our next holiday there in December, this time with the responsibility of all our family with us.

It really is an awful dilemma. I agree that not going gives credence to the terrorists actions, but it is difficult to gamble with personal safety. On the other hand, we have been residents of Africa for 20 years and have visited Kenya ( Nairobi and the south Coast) many, many times without incident, nowhere in the world is completely safe, and I would hate to see the country suffer more than it has to as tourism is it's life blood. Still undecided at this stage.....................

Nairobi
8. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

My heartfelt condolences for tragedy and hostage crisis that's going on in Nairobi,Kenya..

I take this opportunity to stand firm and say nothing will stop us tourists from visiting Kenya.

We have seen and been thru such cowardly attacks on Innocent civilians.

We are with you in prayers,grief and fight against terrorism.

And Praying that this hostage crisis comes to a swift end soon.

Edited: 5:17 am, September 23, 2013
edinburgh
reviews: 143
9. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

At the moment the Foreign Office are advising travelling to Nairobi as necessary and have not mentioned any other high risk towns like MBA or Diani etc.

Agree with Newgranny and Nicmeljones - I have put my personal feelings into another post re. this dreadful incident.

Incidentally as Newgranny has stated for UK visitors if cancelling holiday now insurance will not cover unless a letter is sent from foreign Office informing not to travel. My personal opinion.

manchester, United...
reviews: 49
10. Re: Would you cancel your holiday because of this awful siege?

I am going next week and I will NOT be cancelling unless the Foreign Office advise against travel to the country. I will probably keep a low profile in Nairobi but I will not let terrorists dictate my travel plans.