We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

Hi,

We are travelling through Nairobi in November and have a connecting flight out to London. We are flying from Mombasa to Nairobi and then have 2hrs10mins to get our International flight from Nairobi to Heathrow.

Can someone with experience of the airport recently advise if this should be long enough? Were being told by the airline that we should allow 2hr30mins and the only flight we can change to would mean hanging around at Nairobi for 8hrs!

Anyone have any advice/experience?

Thanks for any help or tips.

7 replies to this topic
1. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

Hey I a m regular traveler on this route of Nairobi transict u have enough time for transict no problem even I use to get only one hour transict time which is long enough dnt worry of have anyfurter querry ask me

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 143
2. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

I might suggest that as soon as you get your luggage from domestic arrivals, do not wait for the free bus, but pay for a taxi to take you to International departures.

Also make sure you have checked in for your LHR flight on line.

Should be okay.

UK
3. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

Thanks for the advice. How far is it between the two then? Is it obvious where you can get the taxi from? Any idea of the cost so were prepared with correct amount etc. We might need a few taxis as there are 11 of us travelling!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
4. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

mr versatile are you saying that you can still do the transfer in less than an hour with the emergency procedures in place, that is transferring from the cargo terminal to the main airport?

Tracy, are both your flights with Kenya Airways or only the domestic one? If so you'll have both boarding cards and your luggage will be checked through, which would greatly speed things up.

Under the current temporary measures which airline you are flying with will determine where you have to go and may affect how much time it takes. the procedures may have changed by the time you fly (I seem to remember there was a target of 8 weeks to get a temporary terminal (whatever that means) up and running

UK
5. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

Thanks for the input.

Both flights are with Kenya Airways so I guess that means the cases do not come back to us when we get to Nariobi and are transferred on? That sounds better.

Should we risk it?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
6. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

it's just under a mile and a half, so on normal rates that would be around 250/- but I would imagine there is a standard fare in place.

When I transferred from International to Domestic there were a few taxis around outside the cargo (Domestic) terminal but obviously nowhere near as many as outside the State Pavilion where the KQ flights land (and presumably the Domestic terminal where non-Skyteam flights are arriving) but maybe a domestic flight wasn't due in. I caught the shuttle bus, it was empty as 4 or 5 of us approached it and it waited a a few minutes while another 3 or 4 people boarded it, then it left,

You might find this map useful

http://tinyurl.com/nuoocu9

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
7. Re: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!

You posted while I was writing my last post, several members have posted recently about flying out of JKIA, some may have transferred from a domestic flight, maybe they will see your post and give their personal experience. (I've done the transfer many times but not since the fire)

Reply to: Nairobi transfer from Domestic to International - Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted