We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Karachi, Sindh...
2 posts
Internet access in Nairobi?

I am planning to visit Nairobi for 3-4 days and I am concerned about Internet access there.

I would be staying at Hilton Nairobi.. they are charging USD 20 per day for internet access, which seems a bit high. Are there any other options? Can i get a Data Connection USB or something easily? if yes how much would it cost? also does it make sense to buy a connection if my stay is 3 day long only?

Any comments would be welcome!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

I too, cannot survive without access to the internet. $20 seems to be a bit high. Pointless buying a modem for just 3 days. There are cyber cafes outside the hotel. Its apprx 1-2 kes per min.

You can buy modems from ssafaricom or orange telecom & top it up internet bundles.

Edited: 2:29 pm, September 01, 2013
Karachi, Sindh...
2 posts
2. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

Many thanks for your advice.

I was thinking I would be needing a prepaid SIM anyway, to stay in touch and coordinate my planned meetings. If there is some sort of 3G services available on sims, I can hook it to my laptop and kil two birds with one stone! i.e. get cell connection and use internet too?

Any idea how much a simple sim with a data bundle would cost?

Edited: 3:04 pm, September 01, 2013
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

I would think it depends on how much you need to be connected. The cyber cafes next to the hotel are an option, but that denies you accessibility at night. You could purchase a modem and a sim, the modem should cost roughly about 35USD and you can purchase data bundles e.g. about 3USD for 200MB - this depends on the network you select and how many MBs you actually want. Sim cards are pretty cheap, should be less than a dollar. You can actually use the same sim to surf and for phone calls, if you alternate. If you however need to be on phone throughout, get a different sim for your phone. You will need to register the sim card though, but it's a very short process. The more you intend to download stuff, the more MBs you should buy. The Hilton is pretty well located so accessing where to purchase a sim and modem should not be too much of a hustle.

Good luck!

Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
4. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

go to 680 Hotel 5 minutes from hilton and at basment there is good interent cafe,,

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

Visit any Safaricom shop with your passport. safaricom.co.ke/index.php/find-a-shop-or-dea…

Take your device with you, and purchase a SIM, get them to fit it, and test it. Their tariffs can be found at: safaricom.co.ke/personal/…prepay

If you have an iPhone, set up a HotSpot, and then connect your laptop to it.

6. Re: Internet access in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, September 04, 2014