We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Webster, NY
reviews: 13
Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

Landing in Nairobi was smooth. We pulled in the gate at the obviously fire damaged main terminal and were met by mobile air stairs. Then walked to a waiting but to be transported to the temporary international arrivals area. I proceeded to the visa desk and less than 5 minutes later I was outside looking for my driver. Simply the easiest international experience ever. Total time from air stairs to looking for my driver 10-12 minutes. Wonderful people.

Saratoga, California
reviews: 1
11. Re: Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

Doffcocker:

Your recent post (#6) regarding KLM/ Sky Team arrivals was interesting. You seem to indicate arriving PAX stay entirely outside upon arrival...all the way to the Taxi meeting area. Which makes me wonder, are there any operating ATMs for currency exchange for the arriving PAX? Or do I just pay the taxi fare in $,£ (or leftover KLM amenity kits =:-0 ). Where would I find the working ATMs? And since I'm probably arriving with about 300 of my "closest friends", can you offer any guidance as to avoiding the inevitable scrum?

Thanks very much for your informative posts (& seemingly endless supply of patience!)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
12. Re: Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

Hi JAK.,

Skyteam (KQ, KLM, Air France, Delta, etc) flights land in the State Pavilion area, where the President and visiting dignitaries used to land. So you disembark down steps to the tarmac, get on buses, drive to a 'Transfers' marquee, to drop off transfer passengers, then on to the Immigration Marquee, coming out of that marquee you turn left to another marquee to reclaim your bags and go through Customs as you leave that marquee,

(Other airlines land at the stands in the undamaged part of the International Terminal, but disembark onto the tarmac and are taken round the curve of the terminal building to the Domestic Terminal. On leaving the Domestic Terminal they will have access to the landside facilities that have not been damaged by the fire. These include at least one ATM.)

Barclays bank have opened a temporary branch in the State Pavilion area. I seem to remember seeing a sign for it to the right as I approached the baggage reclaim marquee, I think it pointed round the back of the baggage reclaim tent. Their publicity says they offer a full range of services but there is no specific mention of an ATM.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has not set up a temporary forex as well, I didn't see any sign of one, but then I wasn't looking and didn't ask.

Failing that and given the tendency of many Americans to expect dollars to be acceptable everywhere in the world ヅ , I would expect Airport taxi drivers not only to accept dollars but for there to be a standard dollar fee for a taxi from the airport to the city centre. And in my experience anywhere / anybody in Kenya that will accept dollars will also accept pounds and euros (though their exchanges rates in all three are usually very favourable - to them)

As for avoiding the rush, the good news is that as many as 50% of your friends may well be transferring to other flights as JKIA is the major hub of the region. After that there isn't much you can do as you will be bussed from plane to Immigration, though you could remember the mantra my group of friends used when using flights that didn't have airbridges "First on the bus last off the bus, last on the bus first off the bus"

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 144
13. Re: Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

When we arrived in late August via KLM, there was both a forex booth and a Barclays ATM. Either before or after the tent where you collect your luggage (I can't remember). Yes, it was all outside, tent to tent. They were hard to miss, but if you ask, everyone tries to help. This is important because if you proceed on out to the taxi pick-up area, I don't think you can go back, and there are no obvious facilities there (the taxi area).

14. Re: Nairobi Airport Experience JKIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 09, 2014