We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ok, completely confused! please help,

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
ok, completely confused! please help,

list of what i want to see...

walking tour of kibera slums

lake nakuru for colobus monkeys (i like monkeys)

maybe nairobi national park or massai mara game reserve or both.

david sheldricks elephants,

giraffe manor.

would like to stay perhaps depending on prices, the emakoko, and/or giraffe manor for a night or two, then perhaps other lodgings less pricey. co's i like the idea of relaxing with animals coming close, without me being knocked around in a jeep for hours due to bad back. so anything like this would be great. any help would be gratefully received. oh and one other main thing is to stay safe from any muggers/robbers/crime. is it even possible with a budget of 3 to 4 thousand per person? thank you so much for any suggestions.

Michigan
reviews: 54
11. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Lake Nakuru is a great park to see a variety of animals including elephants, rhinos and possibly leopards (although typically if a leopard is seen, you'll also see a bunch of vehicles ganging up on it).

If going to the Mara, I'd skip Nairobi National Park. Sweetwaters is one of my favorite places and if your tent (and these are wonderful tents with showers and flush toilets) is on the first row, the animals (including giraffes and elephants, can be right outside your patio (but on the other side of a knee high wire). Personally, for me, when at Sweetwaters, I'd skip the chimp reserve and blind rhino exhibit as to me, they are too much like zoos. Even the Giraffe Center in Nairobi, is more zoo like. But that is probably because we have a zoo nearby where you can get up close to giraffes and feed them biscuits and get a slimy kiss.

I wouldn't miss the Sheldrick elephant orphanage. I have adopted ellies so I can do both the morning public visit as well as the evening 'parent' visit. In between, you can do the Giraffe Center, Kazuri beads and have a nice lunch some place.

I've never felt unsafe while in Africa, and I've gone solo with a guide. Now I wouldn't venture out at night by myself in Nairobi, but at the camps and lodges, it seems the staff are always looking out for you. Even in the hotels in Nairobi, I've seen plenty of security (and they are typically rather friendly).

Regarding your back situation, I too have issues with my back (in fact I get injections twice a year now). But I still endure the long drives to the parks because I love to see the scenery, people and anything else along the way. But I do travel with a couple of small travel pillows (and carry and old pillow case). I use them during the trip and they get quite flat by the end of the trip, so I just toss them (I've certainly gotten my money's worth). For the long plane flight, I have a small cushion that inflates which is a tremendous help for my back.

Laurena

Leeds
reviews: 2
12. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

There are no elephants at Lake Nakuru.

Can't go wrong listening to Sandi!

Michigan
reviews: 54
13. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Oops, you're right about the elephants. I meant to add in the Colobus monkey that the OP mentioned. Sorry.

Laurena

London, United...
14. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

thank you so much laurena, sandi very helpful, and of course everyone who's helping me here, much appreciated

Nairobi, Kenya
15. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

well,can I recommend a hotel facility that is near all those places that you want to visit please?ok you may visit this website(www.thenest.co.ke)

Edited: 7:55 am, August 27, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 144
16. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Just did 2 nights in maasai mara (out of 8 total on safari) and 1 at lake nakuru. Booked through paul at kenya expresso tours & safaris (they are reviewed in trip advisor). Turns out they specialize in Mara- only, 2-4 night tours. However, we found 2 nights sufficient there, whereas we would have liked a second night at lake nakuru (partly because of wildlife, partly because of our nice lodge there just inside the park gate.

Moreover, booked a driver for a day within Nairobi for the (standard) Giraffe Center (nearly empty first of morning), sheldrick elephant orphanage, lunch, Bomas of Kenya (missed the bead factory due to time)

This is really smart to do all together as weekday traffic is ferocious and all this is close together in Karen.

Booked driver through Simon at Dawn in Africa Safaris (found in T.A.) for a great price.

Highly recommend paul (and guide francis) at KETS for your Mara (or any multi-day tour, plus simon for a day in/around nairobi (as KETS maybe doesnt always schedule a single day tour?). Have fun

Be aware going in that the Mara has some of the worst roads, but it is sirvivable with bad back

Nairobi, Kenya
17. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Hey there,

I like the fact that you have a list of what you want. I suggest an itinerary like this

Day 1: Aberdare National Park.

Day 2: Nakuru National Park.

Day 2 and 3: Masai Mara National Reserve including a Masai Village visit.

Day4: Lake Naivasha which includes an hr boat ride

Day 5: Nairobi excursions i.e david sheldrick & giraffe manor.

As for the kibera slum walk, you will need to be accompanied by tourist police which can be arranged in the afternoon of Day 5.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Joy

18. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, September 05, 2013
19. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, September 11, 2013
20. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 13, 2014