We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ok, completely confused! please help,

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
ok, completely confused! please help,

list of what i want to see...

walking tour of kibera slums

lake nakuru for colobus monkeys (i like monkeys)

maybe nairobi national park or massai mara game reserve or both.

david sheldricks elephants,

giraffe manor.

would like to stay perhaps depending on prices, the emakoko, and/or giraffe manor for a night or two, then perhaps other lodgings less pricey. co's i like the idea of relaxing with animals coming close, without me being knocked around in a jeep for hours due to bad back. so anything like this would be great. any help would be gratefully received. oh and one other main thing is to stay safe from any muggers/robbers/crime. is it even possible with a budget of 3 to 4 thousand per person? thank you so much for any suggestions.

19 replies to this topic
nyc
1. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Assume this is for 2014? What month? How many days in-country?

Peak season prices are from July thru October.

Know that the Giraffe Manor already for '14 has limited space and the rate on a full-board basis -BLD- is in the range of $500/pp/nt... checkin 11am, checkout 10am... no hanging around outside these hours unless you are a paying guest.

Best you pick-up a guidebook with further details of what's available (game at specific areas), whether you wish to drive or fly between areas. Lots of other useful information.

And only way you'll know what your final costs will be... contact a few outfitters (select from the KATO site - www.katokenya.org), sending individual emails to about 6, with your wish list including estimated budget.

Bye the way, Nairobi Nat'l Park while interesting is nowhere like a visit to the Masai Mara and/or other parks/reserves. And know that you can see game as close if only sitting in front of your room or tent; you don't always have to go on game drives.

During stay in Nairobi, unless selecting a hotel in a questionnable area to beging with, you're safe in most all tourist hotels - much as hotels elsewhere around the world.

London, United...
2. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

looking to come this year, oct 10th onward, i am flexible with the "when bit" so depending on what deals are on and where i guess. thank you for your help

nyc
3. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

With the exception of the Masai Mara which is actual safari country, all that you show is in Nairobi and at max, need only 2/day and 3/nts in the Mara. If these are your only interests, can't imagine why you're confused.

How many days do you plan to be in-country?

London, United...
4. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

i'm old and blonde, hence confusion :), it don't take a lot these days,

i wish to see all that it has to offer, i know nothing of where is where, and what hotel/camp is near watering hole, or where animals come, or how to get from one place to another, (having read about the safety aspect) i have no idea of what else is on offer, (would kindly need advice on that one) and its taken all day to find out what nairobi has to offer let alone what else i should see while there (hence confusion) want to see masai mara, lake nakuru, giraffe manor, elephant orphans while in that area then move on i guess, but HOW? safely? and in what order? don't know even how to get to these places. taxi? tour? if so which ones.

whats value for money, what isn't etc etc .

what else do you think is a must? looking to come for about 10 days, but don't know where to start with it, and don't know what else there is i guess, or where to stay within budget.

anywhere else, i can with a click of a button compare prices, but with so much variants how can you compare like for like? with tours etc.

welcome to the workings of a blonde mind :))

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Are you a SOLO traveller ? I don't mean to discourage, if solo, trip will cost almost twice as much (as opposed to group safari). Single supplement fees is almost 50% in most lodges.

Sweetwaters, Nakuru & Mara are 3 very popular venues for Safari trip. At Sweetwaters there's a chimpanzee sanctuary.

Edited: 1:48 am, August 23, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 141
6. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

When you mention Giraffe Manor, do you want to see the Giraffe's and feed them, or do you want to stay the night there. If just feed them, then you want to go to The Giraffe Centre where you can just turn up. If you want to stay the night, then as Sandi says it is expensive and booked out months in advance.

Spend 2 days in Nairobi, and use a taxi to get the The Giraffe Centre, Elephant Orphanage, etc. Maybe a tour van for a tour of Nairobi National Park.

For safari 2 nights in Nakuru would be ideal, but most tours stop there for one night. Mara needs a minimum of 3 nights. How much do you want to spend?

RWA

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
7. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

Have a look at Ndemi Place in Nairobi. Website has many more positive than negative T A reviews. It suited me (older solo female) because I don't particularly want WiFi and TV in my room. Very friendly helpful staff and excellent help with transport.

Edited: 6:25 am, August 23, 2013
London, United...
8. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

thank you for all your help, i'm not a solo traveller, budget of around, £5000 to £6000 for the pair of us, and flights will have to come out of that, would like to stay within budget, but if i can't i can't.

think i'll i might be better off with someone organising this for me, any recommendations on someone to do the leg work, that will probably come out the same as a DIY? then i won't have to worry about getting lost, or transfers someone, that you could recommend value for money.

stef, i've taken on board the three you mention, thank you.

Leeds
reviews: 2
9. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

If its just for colobus, try out Sopa Naivasha as they have them in the grounds. We got quite close to them (obvious caution applies) and it was amazing how human-like they appeared! You can also have a boat ride there too.

We did see 1 at Lake Nakuru but it was far off and I thought it was a carrier bag in a tree at first :-$

Of course, if its for more general game (and rhino!) then Lake Nakuru wins hands down.

nyc
10. Re: ok, completely confused! please help,

You still need a guidebook and must contact a few outfitters as I mentioned above.

Once you have replies from a few of these outfitters will you have an idea of what is doable and estimated costs.

Remember... this is your safari, not mine or any others who post here as we likely have different interests, have been previously and want to visit new areas. And when you say 'old' know that a majority of vsitors are from age 50/up into the 70s (some even the 80s). The people with the time and money and being blonde, silver or any other color hair... means nothing.

October is right around the corner and still peak season at highest prices, so suggest you get moving on this.

Good luck!

Reply to: ok, completely confused! please help,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted