We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Farmington Hills...
reviews: 9
Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

I'll be traveling to Nairobi next week and was wondering if there are possibilities of souvenirs that I could bring back for my office friends. Mind you, I have a big office and I'm pretty much friendly with all of them. I cannot buy anything too costly just because of the number of gifts I would have to buy. Can anyone suggest reasonable practical souvenirs that I could possibly buy from Nairobi ? Also, where in Nairobi would I find them ?

14 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Plenty of Souvenier shops in every nook & corner in town. Try the City market for wide selection.

You can buy little wooden carvings, wood keyrings with personal name carved out, batik paintings,etc..Something for everyone in the office.

Haggling & bargaining prices is a "cultural" thing in Kenya. Don't be ashamed to get best price.

Farmington Hills...
2. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Any idea on the cost of say keyrings ? I like the idea of personalizing it.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Kes 200 (USD 2-3)

Something like this with name carved into it.

stribal.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/im…

…wildlifedirect.org/files/…heidis-blog6.JPG

Beaded sandals are also very popular for tourists. Women absolutely adore them

…olx.co.ke/ui/4/10/68/1354267779_459950268_4…

easoko.com/images/listings/2012-07/bigThmb/b…

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Here's more designs of Beaded sandals.

…wordpress.com/2011/09/03092011300.jpg

Farmington Hills...
5. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Thank you for the links to the pictures. They are all beautiful. I'll probably buy them for myself and my close friends. My office friends and other acquaintances are around 50 people. Even though each one is $2 I cannot buy 50 of those. Any other frugal suggestions ?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
6. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

I've brought back carved wooden letter openers for office colleagues. They've always gone down well and seem to be used daily. They are light in weight, not bulky and cheap.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

I was going to suggest Kenya coffee, but that is more expensive than keyrings. Don't think you will get cheaper than wood keyrings (with personal touch to it)

Michigan
reviews: 53
8. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

I've picked up a number of hand painted bookmarks that feel like they are on tanned hide. They are like miniature paintings and very nice. Everyone I've given them to has really liked them. I left one on a table in my drs office once by accident and called to make sure they still had it as it was special to me. They were hoping no one would claim it :-)

Madrid
9. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

Hello, is it possible to buy some beaded sandals outside of Nairobi (example, in parks)? Do you know how much a pair costs? Thank you very much

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
10. Re: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?

A great, and versatile gift are shumbas ( Masai clothes) which come in variety of patterns. They're very versatile, and have a wide variety of uses everything from a blanket, to a tablecloth. You can buy them in any number of Masai markets.

Reply to: Souvenirs for office friends from Nairobi ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted