We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Data sim card

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Data sim card

Anyone knows which telecom service provider provides data sim packages for tourists?

in particular,

which service provider is reliable?

do they provide nano sim or micro sim?

are they available from the airport still? (due to the fire)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Data sim card

Hi,

I'm not aware of any Kenya providers offering tourist data packages, however mobile data is not expensive.

There is no difference between phone and data sims, you buy a sim for 100 to 200 shillings, (you will need to show your passport, having a photocopy of your passport can help) you then buy credit available everywhere on scratch cards, then you use the credit to buy data bundles,. Personally I would recommend Safaricom as the most reliable network for coverage., quality and reliability of service, especially as you will be travelling around.. You should be able to get micro sims (or they will cut one down for you) but i don't know about nano sims

You can see the various data packages and their price on the Safaricom web page

Chester County, PA
reviews: 2
2. Re: Data sim card

Hello Brian

I am here now and can agree with Doffs recommendation of Safaricom. It has very good coverage, even into much of the Maasai Mara safari areas. All I did was to hand my phone over to the safari com agent who set it all up for me. I bought a small sized initial amount to use for voice and texting, since all my data access is through hotel wifi. If you plan to do a lot with data, you simply put more value on the card, or you can add value as you go. Since I have been here this past week, I have found a taxi driver I like a lot, so when I need him, I just text or call. Very convenient. I am not sure about what's available now at the airport, but safari com agents are not hard to find elsewhere in the city (they are often also the newspaper agents)

nairobi
3. Re: Data sim card

safari com the best

4. Re: Data sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 16, 2014