We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport Status

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Nairobi Airport Status

Hi Guys, I hope to open a topic related to the status of the Nairobi International Airport.

I am flying in on the 14th August and due to the fire I am worried we may not be able to make it.

I called kenya airways and they are not sure if the airport will resume by next week.

The flight that flew in this morning (7th Aug) was diverted to Mombasa

If anyone has any info please post them here.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
131. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Kenyan Airways (and it's Skyteam partners airlines) are using the Domestic Terminal for departures, all other airlines including BA and Qatar are using gates 4 to 8 in the undamaged section of the International Terminal, so you should be departing from the same area.

I haven't flown out of this section of the terminal, even before the fire I always flew from the gates at the other end, so don't know what facilities are available in this area, perhaps someone who has flown out recently can advise.

As for wifi, as far as I knew the only free wifi was in the Java House Coffee House which is right at the other end of the gate corridor, the damaged and closed end.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 143
132. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

We just left 2 days ago on KLM. I think that was in the same area as BA. Pretty painless. You pass through an x-ray machine into that terminal, then go to the respective airline desk to check in and drop checked luggage. Then you pass through passport control and into the gate area. At the gate area they check documents again once you are done hanging out in the shops area. We thought there'd be no facilities past that point so we had some food and bottles of drink...but we couldn't proceed with the liquids. It turns out that on the other side, you walk down steps to a huge holding tent on the tarmac, and this tent has a snack bar and bar, and toilets. Finally, when the plane is ready, they let you walk to the aircraft from the tent and up the steps. (The only issue I saw as for someone who really needs wheelchair assistance: the climb to the aircraft is formidable.)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
133. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Kosmo,

all the info provided by KAA and Kenya Airways (KQ) has said that KQ and its Skyteam partners' flights were departing from the Domestic Terminal (after all the flights are codeshares and KQ and KLM each provide a plane for the two flights a day for the Amsterdam route for example), your description of shops and going down steps suggest that they are now using the gates 4 to 8 section of the International terminal along with the non-Skyteam airlines. Maybe they have tweaked the temporary procedures but not publicised it, or maybe they have and we've all missed it

lincs
reviews: 12
134. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

good afternoon all, well after now experiencing Nairobi airport i am glad to say all was not as bad as i feared, yes it is a bit chaotic but after not being there before i cant say weather it was any worse than normal, yes the domestic departure lounge is not nice to sit in, we spent 5 hours there, nothing to do or see, immigration was ok, if not a little slow, but all in all there are plenty of people to ask and help was at hand. just keep patient and things will be ok.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
135. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Doffcocker, yes we DID depart through a "gate 5". And this terminal area was on the left side of the circle road. Indeed, it was below the end of a pedestrian passover which connected to the burned international terminal on the right - and our driver said pointed out that the flyover was somewhat burned itself (smoke damage, I'd call it) and was part of the international terminal. So based on what you said, I take it that the gates on the left of the road are also part of the "international terminal". I think it was called "unit 2" according to road signs. KLM did not have a sign facing the street (someone told our driver that it was being replaced) but a few other airlines did.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 1
136. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

we are flying to mombasa via nairobi on sat 14. can we expect dellays?

lincs
reviews: 12
137. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

hi, we flew with KQ on the 25th of Aug, left heathrow on time, got to Nairobi Airport and were delayed by an hour and half due to cabin crew staff shortages, that was the only delay we had, return journey was all on time

Lydd, United Kingdom
reviews: 95
138. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Hi,

I'll be arriving at Nairobi airport from London on 25/10/2013 at 06.30 and transferring to a flight to Livingstone 6 hours later. Can anyone tell me what the current transfer facilities are like in the light of recent events?

Thanks

Fordingbridge...
139. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

By the time you travel to NBO the facilities will have changed greatly & will depend on which airline you are travelling. I'm travelling through there 24 hours before you!

The JKIA Facebook page is a good source of current info & future developments.

https:/…

Lydd, United Kingdom
reviews: 95
140. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Thanks for the link.

I just realised that I got the month wrong in my original post, we arrive 25th September not October so any news about the current state of the place will be very useful :-)