We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport Status

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Nairobi Airport Status

Hi Guys, I hope to open a topic related to the status of the Nairobi International Airport.

I am flying in on the 14th August and due to the fire I am worried we may not be able to make it.

I called kenya airways and they are not sure if the airport will resume by next week.

The flight that flew in this morning (7th Aug) was diverted to Mombasa

If anyone has any info please post them here.

New York City, New...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

I am thinking within 10 days it should be ok for flights to resume back to normal..but yes, am also keeping an eye out..although flying much later than you. Good luck!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
2. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Hi,,

Having seen the still photos of the severity of the blaze, and NTV's brief peek inside, there would appear to be little chance of being back to normal in less than 2 or 3 months. The Immigration area, baggage reclaim and waiting areas have been extremely badly damaged, the roof has fallen in on at least part of this area. Presumably the baggage carousels are written off. I wouldn't be surprised given the intensity of the blaze if the remaining structure the walls etc have been heat damaged and need to be demolished.

In the short term they are diverting flights to Mombasa, but Mombasa does not have anywhere near Nairobi's capacity. When Mombasa is full they will overflow to Eldoret.

The good thing is the runway has been unaffected and it appears that neither has Departures, presumably the airside baggage handling facilities are unaffected, so it is only arrivals processing they will have to come up with solution for. An obvious temporary solution would be the Domestic terminal but it is tiny by comparison and would become an huge bottleneck, and presumably they would have to bus passenger to it.

Dorset
reviews: 15
3. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

It does effect arrivals. The terminal covers both arrivals and departures.

4. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:45 am, September 24, 2013
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
5. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

I am supposed to be flying to Dar on 22 Aug with Kenya Airways via Nairobi and I am looking at cancelling and rebooking with Emirates to avoid Nairobi.

The damage looks bad to me. Maybe if the start/end point of your journey is Kenya arrangements will be made, but I don't want to be trying to transfer through NBO. My tour operator is still waiting for KQ to confirm that they will be giving full refunds, but I don't see how they could justify not doing so under the circumstances.

Lamu Island, Kenya
reviews: 42
6. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Domestic flights (from Jomo Kenyatta Airport) were supposed to resume from today 3 pm. Wilson Airport is not affected. Got the information from Fly540 half an hour ago.

7. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:29 am, September 18, 2013
UK
reviews: 1
8. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Good to hear some Positive news at last - let's hope it comes back to normal ASAP - at least some makeshift Immigration Facilities and Luggage Collection.

Thanks for the updates and please keep us posted.

We are travelling on the 15th and planned to obtain VISA on Arrival - so worried.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
9. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

Read this....5th Update: Resumption of Limited Kenya Airways’ Flights

We would like to inform our customers and stakeholders that we will have a limited domestic operation today . The first flight out of Nairobi to Mombasa is expected to depart at 7.00pm. Another flight out of Mombasa to Nairobi will depart at 9.15 pm.

Please note that full operations at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) are yet to resume.

All affected customers will however be advised accordingly and should be at the airport two hours before departure time. The domestic departure terminal is in use and will be open to handle these flights.

We also wish to advise that these flights will only be operated for the domestic customers traveling between Nairobi and Mombasa and those who were on transit either to Mombasa from international flights, and to Nairobi for flights diverted to Mombasa. Priority for the Nairobi-Mombasa sector will be given first to international transit passengers.

Please bear with us as we try and restore all operations and streamline our service delivery.

The flight schedule for above is as below:-

FLIGHT DESTINATION DEPARTURE ARRIVAL

KQ 614 NBO-MSA 1900HRS 2000HRS

KQ 615 MSA-NBO 2115HRS 2215HRS

KQ 616 NBO-MSA 2330HRS 0030HRS

KQ617 MSA-NBO 2130HRS 2230HRS

We wish to confirm that flight KQ 113 from Paris’ Charles De Gaulle airport will be diverted to Mombasa with an estimated arrival time of 2345hrs. In addition, flights from London (KQ101), and from Bangkok (KQ887) will arrive in Nairobi tomorrow morning as scheduled, and will be processed through the domestic terminal.

All other flight schedules will be advised in due course.

The next update will be at 1800hrs.

For more information please call our contact center on +254711024747/+254734104747/+254 20 3274747

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 159
10. Re: Nairobi Airport Status

On a good day, NBO is chaotic. I dread to think just how bad it's going to be during the next few weeks. Good luck to all pax, you'll need lots of patience.