We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Greetings, We (2 adults) have the opportunity to stay at Giraffe Manor for one day and night in October. We will be arriving at the airport NBO at 6:25 in the morning and head directly to GM for breakfast with the giraffes. Does anyone know how long the giraffes stick around for breakfast? Also, we want to minimize our touring so we can relax and enjoy GM - any suggestions? We will go to Sheldrick Elephant orphanage in the evening to visit our adoptee - is it worthwhile to also go during the noon public viewing? We will also go to the Giraffe Center. Of the following other options, which do you think should be done during our stay at GM and which can be postponed to the day we check out? Karen Blixen museum, bomas, Matt Bronze, Kazuki beads, open air market - which one? Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Boston...
reviews: 69
1. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

If i remember correctly, the giraffes hang around as long as they are being fed. :)

Of the choices you listed, i would do the karen blixen musuem.. We drove by the open market and decided to pass.. That day it was way too crowded for us.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Since you have an adoptee in the elephant orphanage, I suggest that you go there during the private viewing to get time with your baby, I think noon is ok because public viewing takes place as from 11 am to noon. I suggest that you visit Karen Blixen thereafter then Bomas in the afternoon after your lunch as I understand there are great performances there. If you want to have lunch, Carnivore or Rangers restaurant are good places. Also opt for animal orphanage or a walk in the safari walk.

Edinburgh, United...
3. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Hello,

I work with Giraffe Manor as their sales and marketing representative in Europe and hope I can help here. The giraffe visit the Manor in the morning until around 8am. It is difficult to say exactly where they will be and when as they have the whole garden to explore throughout the day, but it is safe to say that you will see them before 8am up at the Manor and also around tea time when they like to come up again! I have arrived at the manor at various times of the day and there is almost always a giraffe in sight , be it by the Manor or just down the hill.

Re: what to do, you can walk to the giraffe centre from the Manor so, as you say this is a must. I would suggest going to the private session only at the Daphne Sheldrick orphanage. This is far more personalised and you will be able to ask specific questions about your elephant as well as seeing some of the others. The afternoon session can have as many as 150 people there and, although interesting for those who are not able to have a private viewing, is not as special. I would suggest that, as your time is short that you only do the private session.

Depending on what you are most interested in, whilst you are coming back from the Daphne Sheldrick orphanage I would highly recommend stopping in at Marula studios. This is where they recycle flipflops from the Kenyan coast (they are washed up onto the beach and turtles have been killed by trying to eat them so they are removed and brought to Nairobi). Here they are made into all sorts of wonderful things such as toys, jewellery, mats etc. You can look around the factory and then head into the shop to see the end products. Kazuri beads is great for souvenir shopping and Matt Bronze is great to visit / see the bronzes being made and buy something of quality. Karen Blixen is also nice to see if you are interested in her history, but again, depending on your time you may want to get back to the Manor. You really do not want to miss out on the tea on the lawn with giraffe! Once you are back at the Manor you can enjoy the rest of the day / evening there. What is great is that the Manor is close to all these places, so it really comes down to your own preference. Hope this helps and you have a wonderful time there!

nyc
4. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Even with your 6:30am arrival and considering Immigration, baggage collection and transfer to Karen where Giraffe Manor located... know that check-in is 11am.

You might want to consider stopping elsewhere for breakfast before arriving.

Remember, GM isn't a hotel where there is a lobby at which to hang out... it's a private home and if they are at full occupancy, there's unlikely for there to be room for you to sit at the breakfast table.

Suggest you reconfirm the timing and when you'll be accepted for checkin.

I've seen the giraffes come to the Manor House at all hours, from early morning, mid-day and early evening before dinner.

Huntington Beach...
5. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Thank-you kindly for all the wealth of information and wonderful suggestions. Here are my concerns regarding time:

1. What is the approximate time to get from NBO, go through customs and any other procedures and get to Giraffe Manor? (We might have to change to an overnight flight if the morning arrival will not get us to GM by 8:00 am)

2. When do the giraffes come visit for tea time? (This may conflict with the 5:00 pm visit to Sheldrick )

Huntington Beach...
6. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Thank-you, We have reservations for breakfast.

Huntington Beach...
7. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Thank-you kindly for all the wealth of information and wonderful suggestions. Here are my concerns regarding time:

1. What is the approximate time to get from NBO, go through customs and any other procedures and get to Giraffe Manor? (We might have to change to an overnight flight if the morning arrival will not get us to GM by 8:00 am)

2. When do the giraffes come visit for tea time? (This may conflict with the 5:00 pm visit to Sheldrick )

nyc
8. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Depending on day of week, as if Sunday with little traffic, you can get from NBO airport to GM in as little as 30/min. Other days of the week it can take 1/hr or even as many as 2/hrs.

The giraffes are around all day and while they do show up for breakfast, as mentioned above, I've had them eating out of my hand various hours during the day.

Even if you visit Sheldrick for 5pm, the giraffes will be there to amuse visitors after 6pm till dark.

... and while check-in is 11am, check-out is 10am.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
9. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

Here's my 2 shillings worth: Giraffe Manor is a unique place to stay. It's 28km from Nairobi International Airport and assuming you're out of the airport and moving in a vehicle by 7.30am (pretty good going if you are), you won't be at Giraffe Manor until 9 or 9.30am, except possibly on a Sunday. BUT, you won't be able to check-in until 10.45/11am for the reasons Sandi states - there's no waiting area, no lobby and they're checking guests *out* between 10 and 11. So, you'll be hanging around for a bit, possibly at the AFEW Giraffe Centre itself (to which as guests of GM you would have free access, though possibly only once you've checked in…), which is just across the lawn, on the edge of the manor grounds.

The bigger question is: if you aren't already holding a room at Giraffe Manor, book one soon. It's often full.

As for the question of how to fill the 24 hours: "Karen Blixen museum, bomas, Matt Bronze, Kazuki beads, open air market - which one?" Kazuri Beads is nice, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to visit Nairobi National Park properly - it's a really impressive 60 square miles of wilderness, not some sanitised city park, and you have a very good chance of seeing lions, and even greater chance (amazingly) of seeing both black and white rhinos.

Have a great stay in Nairobi - a greatly underrated city.

Richard Trillo

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?

WE have traveled to these places twice this year. If you only have a day to tour I would skip Bomas. Karen Blixen museum is nice but only if you have watched the movie "Out of Africa", otherwise not sure it is the best choice. I personally think Kazuri beads is a must and it is very very close. Doesn't take long to go through and it is free with the hope that you might make a purchase in their gift shop. The recycled flipflop place sounded neat as well.

Not sure what you are doing about getting around to these places but we have used the same driver several times and he does a wonderful job. Waits patiently at the airport for us to clear immigration and get visas and helps me plan our day and keeps us on a schedule. The traffic is horrible in Nairobi and you can be stuck for hours, that it why it is necessary to make sure your driver is familiar with the road situation. Email me if you want his information. kellie@apologia.com

Have a great trip,

Kellie~

Reply to: Best use of One Day at Giraffe Manor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted