We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Cruces, New...
reviews: 55
Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

We are planning a trip for 2014 & doing it on tight budget, so wondering what it the best months/weather to go to either Nairobi or Mombasa? We are wanting to do a safari & don't know if it is best to go out of Nairobi or Mombasa (budget wise) & where is the best areas for us to visit, seeing the most in a safari.

nyc
1. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

How many total days for holiday? How many days for safari? How many for beach?

Pick-up a good guidebook specific to Kenya or Fodor's "Complete Safari Planning Guide" with lots of useful information - where to visit, accommodations, estimated costs, health, Visas, other helpful info.

Prices are seasonal:

Jan-Mar, mid season

Apr-May, low season as 'long rains' but no guarantee it will

Jun, mid season

July-Oct, peak season

Nov to mid-Dec, mid season, 'short rains' but no guarantee it will

mid-Dec to 2nd Jan, peak season for Christmas/New Years

Accommodations whether lodges/tented camps are available at all budgets, during all seasons.

As far as beach and unless traveling in winter months from the States, consider less beach time and more for safari. Or leave the beach to nearby areas to where you live with often better choices and great package deals.

Remember... this is your holiday, so you have to know where you'll be traveling and why.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

The Mara attracts the highest # of visitors b'coz quite simply it has widest & varied wildlife. Unfortunately, Mara isn'nt cheap with a few handful of Mid range & budget accommodation. Best time to visit Mara would be during the wildebeest migration.

For a safari holiday, Nbi would best location to plan from a safari.

Other budget option is to do a safari to Nakuru NP which is only 3 hours drive from Nbi.

Since this is your 1st visit to Kenya, head out to Sweetwaters, Nakuru & Mara. This is a very popular route for most tourists & mostly have been very satisfied with it.

3. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, September 30, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
4. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

Have been to Bamburi Beach north of Mombasa and would suggest you spend your time on Safari out of Nairobi. The beach is not nice the waters are shallow and the locals though friendly and lovely will harass you to purchase something and won't take no for an answer. You are therefore confined to the resort which has limited appeal to seasoned travellers. The Mara is wonderful and would highly recommend the hot air ballooning...fantastic!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
5. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

❝ You are therefore confined to the resort which has limited appeal to seasoned travellers❞

My exerience was entirely different, i don't mean that there weren't nuisance persistent beach boys, of course there were, but as a seasoned independent traveller who wouldn't dream of spending much time in a hotel,and who likes to get out and about and mingle with the locals, a few beach boys didn't put me off. I spent very little time in the hotel and though it was a pain walking on the tourist stretch of beach, until you perfected your technique for dealing with the beach boys, there was virtually no hassle as you walked to the south beyond the tourist hotels and on towards the Public beach, or past the hotels to the north. I found Bamburi beach and its surroundings (Nyali, one way, Shanzu and Mtwapa the other) fascinating, so much so that I returned several times, spending very little time on the beach (or at least the tourist beach) and when I retired I came to live here.

Even along the tourist stretch of beach I would and still do see many holidaymakers who have braved the beach boys strolling on the beach, enjoying an ice cream at Yuls, having a pizza or dancing the night away at Il Covo, having pasta or seafood at Robertos or having a beer at one of the beach bars. Some people don't leave the hotels but many do and enjoy the place far more because of it.

6. Re: Low Season & safari from Nairobi or Mombasa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 05, 2014