We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Hello. I have a trip booked for Kenya in the beginning of September. I'm a solo traveler and looking to do a safari but am feeling overwhelmed with all the info on the net. I'm specifically looking for safaris that are accommodating to solo travelers but I am not finding too much. Does anyone have any recomendations or any information? Much appreciated, thank you.

28 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Hi. Unless you've got a lot of dosh, doing a solo safari can become expensive. Here's why:

1. Most lodges charge a Single Supply. Fee usually up to 50%

2. The Nissan 14 Sweater Mini Vans are commonly used for safaris, which means you pay four thge other vacant seats.

3. Park entry fees are approx. $80 Per Person, per day.

That said, contact Best Camping Tours, Game trackers & Game watchers & find out what they have to offer.

For budget safari to the Mara, look at Enchoro.

Can I suggest heading out to Malindi or Watamu & go for a safari to the Tsavo NP from there. It's works out "slightly" cheaper.

PM for more advice if you need to.

Edited: 12:50 pm, July 29, 2013
Paris, France
2. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Going there in November and also looking for some one to team on safari.

Nairobi
3. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Hi,

You can also opt in for join in safaris. This are set departure safaris that take in different people on a set safari tour. There are several companies that handle this type of safari and will depend on the number of days you have and the places of interest for the safari you like.

Liverpool
reviews: 5
4. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Hiyta,

I'm doing the Enchoro Masai Mara safari by myself in September.

It worked out as $390 for 3 days, all transport from Nairobi, game drives, single accommodation and all food.

I think it is fairly good value.

Palm Beach, Florida
reviews: 23
5. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

G safaris tk single travelers.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 112
6. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

After much research, and TA guidance, I decided on a Porini camp fly in safari for my 2014 first time safari. It is small tented camps, and shared game drives, with communal dining. Thou expensive, I felt it was perfect for going solo. Just not sure you can get accomodations on such short notice. I went thru Gamewatchers.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
7. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Dear Dofi80,

I've gone 3 times before on safari as a solo traveler. I recommend that you use www.expertafrica.com because they are quite familiar with solo travelers and they can help you plan your safari. I agree due to single supplements it might be more expensive going on safari as a solo traveler but it doesn't need to as high as you think. Furthermore, www.expertafrica.com offers some superb group trips which can be much cheaper.

Ballarat, Australia
reviews: 144
8. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

I think it's time we singles started lodging anti discrimination actions through our relevant organisations against the singles supplements.

It's a last bastion of discrimination against single people, based on the presumption we won't spend as much as two people.

Couples use twice as much water, twice as many towels and require no more cleaning than a traveller on their own.

What is even worse is that singles usually cop the rooms up the back, without decent views and pay more for the "privilege"!

In an ideal world you would pay for a room and the second person would cost extra, not the other way around.

But things won't change without our action and working together for change!

My singles supplement is costing me a fortune, enough for a flight to Europe, but am doing a once in a lifetime trip. It's a case of grin and bear it!

Usually I backpack because of the singles supplement!

Cheers and maybe this issue is worth a forum in its own right?

Fiona

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
9. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

Single supplements are a tricky business.

The argument for them is that a single person takes a room that could be sold to two people, so a camp might be losing out by taking a single guest. This can make a big difference in a small camp eg one with only 6-10 rooms. At all inclusive camps, the single price is not double to allow for the fact that a single person only takes up one seat in a game viewing vehicle, and only eats and drinks for one person. Nonetheless, the camp is potentially losing out.

The argument falls down outside peak season where the chances are a camp isn't likely to be full anyway, so they're probably not losing out with single guests.

Personally, I think a fair pricing system would be to only include single supplements in peak season. And that is what many camps do. Even if they don't advertise it, many will waive the supplement off-peak if you ask.

I have been on 2 safaris this year (Botswana in Jan/Feb, Kenya in June) without paying single supplements. Next week I am off to Tanzania and will be paying a moderate single supplement. Next year I have 3 safaris booked and am paying no single supplement at all on two of them (Kenya in Jan/Feb and Zambia in June). Last year- 4 safaris, single supplements on only one. So single supplements are avoidable if you know where and when to go.

In Kenya, I have used the Kicheche group of camps who do not charge single supplements except in peak season (mid July to end Oct), Laikipia Wilderness Camp (no single supplement in Jan and June, but I think they may charge in peak season). I believe Offbeat Safaris don't charge single supplements in their camps, nor do AndBeyond. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I have travelled off peak in Botswana without paying single supplements, and in Zambia in Shoulder season and even in peak season there are operators that do not charge, or that do not charge if you book a minimum number of nights.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya

I am headed to Kenya in a couple of weeks and doing a safari the one week at Porini Lion - as a single. I didn't book through gamewatchers as my friend that lives there had a travel agent, but I've been in contact with them regarding questions and they have been most helpful and welcoming. I will post after but so far it has made me feel that being solo won't be an issue.

Hope you have found a safari, let us know how it goes. Safe travels.

Reply to: Solo Travel Safari in Kenya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted