We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
reviews: 1
What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

My friend and I have going for a safari in January - and thinking about extending our trip for 4 or 5 days to check out Nibobi and possibly take a trip to Zanzibar.

Do you think we will be safe?

And also, how hard/easy is it to get a train or plane to Zanzibar? Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Katherine

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

Do you mean Nairobi? If so, take sensible precautions while in in the city. If you walk around (ask your hotel staff first where it's safe to walk), I would leave any valuables in your hotel safe and just carry what you need for the day. You can also hire a taxi for the day to take you sightseeing and the taxi driver will wait for you at each stop. I'd advise taking a taxi anywhere after dark.

The easiest way to get to Zanzibar from Nairobi is to fly and there are daily nonstop flights. Where are you going on safari? You can also consider spending your coast/beach time in Kenya. Though I haven't been there, I've heard Lamu compared favorably to Zanzibar.

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 50
2. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

I just got back - woman travelling alone. I was with a tour group lots of the time, but I would rather travel alone in Africa than in Mexico. I never had a problem and the African people treated me with respect everywhere I went. And to think I was worried about going there alone all these years!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

Kenya is a marvellous country to visit. Advice to women, it's safe to venture during the day. Stay indoors at nite & DON'T take any taxis at night.

Plenty of budget places to visit in NBI & Mombasa. Lamu is much preferred to Zanzibar. Lamu has alot of budget places to stay & food/drinks very cheap. Yumbe House in Lamu town is highyly recommeded.

CA
4. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

I was not sure wether to post or not as It was 5 yrs ago I was there. I was with a group and felt safe although there were rumors about women going into Nairobi alone. I would just say play it safe and only go where your hotel informs you is safe. Keep reading the posts here as some of them have very recent exp. Good luck.

I loved Africa !!

5. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:56 am, November 07, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 3
6. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

You should be safe, just don't travel around at night, especially on less populated roads (this includes travelling by taxi!). There are thieves and car-jackers on these roads at night. It gets dark around 6 there, don't forget. If you go out at night it is usually possible to book your taxi driver for your return trip. Don't take chances and you'll be fine.

There are flights to Zanzibar from Mombassa, Nairobi and a ferry from Dar es Saleem. Don't take a bus. Flying is safer. The high speed ferry is safe, too.

It is more expensive to cross country borders via plane, it seems. Flying within Kenya was quite affordable. Our flight to Zanzibar from Kenya was a little pricey, plus you have to buy another Visa.

I went to Lamu as well which is definetly a good alternative to Zanibar (However I loved the secluded eastern coast of Zanzibar!).

If your looking for more of a resort area, Diani Beach was nice. There are a few excellent restaurants here and a great beach restaurant/bar called the Forty Thieves.

Don't plan to spend any time right in Mombassa.

the world
reviews: 6
7. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

I am a woman in Nairobi and I do take taxis at night when I want to go out. I have never met another woman who did not.

The only thing is at night, always order a cab from a well-known company (such as Jimcab or Jatco for instance). Anyway, they will never accept to drive you through unsafe areas.

san francisco
reviews: 1
8. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

How does one get to Lumu (sp?) ... and how does it compare to Zanzibar in terms of acitivites? Is it possible to do a *good* 7 day safari return to nairobi and then head to Lumu for a couple days? we want to do beach and game viewing! This would be either in August or December. Would love to hear what the women did too.

9. Re: What is your opinion on two white women traveling in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 17, 2009