We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

We are a family of of 2 Adults and 3 children. I will be renting a Minivan with driver for the 2 days - 1 night trip, so we want to freelance and need some advice and prices. We want to drive on our own around this area - any advice as where we should go especially to see the flamingoes?. Also what are the prices for entrance to the National parks (resident and non-resident)?. Since we are on a tight budget we want to avoid sleeping in a safari lodge but maybe in or around Nakuru at a very nice and secure hotel. Also how much does fuel cost and how many gallons/litres does a minivan take?

London, United...
1. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

JK,

When are you going? That dictates a great deal.

Prices can be found here:

lakebogoriareserve.com/index.php/information…

http://www.kws.org/tourism/tariffs.html

Fuel was circa 96KSH per Litre a few weeks ago.

A little strapped for time right now, so will write more tomorrow.

GJ

UK
2. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

I am going on 16 Aug, thanks

UK
3. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

would you know how many lites go into a 8 seater minivan? Any recommendation for a decent not too expensive hotels in Nakuru

London, United...
4. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

HK,

Have a friend in Nakuru, I will drop him a mail. There is a place in Kembu (not to far) that I know, great for kids:

http://kembu.com/

Hard to say about the fuel consumption, most are rather old and some do gallons to miles!! As you are renting man and van, get one who includes the fuel, most do!

UK
5. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

Ok, thanks

London, United...
6. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

HK,

Check you PMs, I copied and pasted advice from that friend, thought it would have been a tadge rude to do it here!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
7. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

If you're thinking about a two day trip out of Nairobi, with one night away, trying to visit Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria, then I think you're way too ambitious, I'm afraid. To do this drive, in reasonable comfort will take you the best part of a day in each direction, with no stopping. Lake Naivasha is a diversion off the Nairobi-Nakuru highway. Lake Nakuru is another diversion, south of Nakuru town. With this time budget, I would skip Nakuru completely, and either do Lake Naivasha, or Lake Bogoria, but not both. And make a start at 6am sharp on day one, to be at Lake Naivasha lakeshore before 8am, or at Lake Bogoria between 10 and 11am.

Good luck,

Richard Trillo

London, United...
8. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

I had more, up early, to Bogoria then to Kembu for a o/n base, not to visit Nakuru Park (time and money issue), again up earlyish a good breakfast bash down to Niavasha, bit of a wander, lunch, boat trip wave to the hippos, and leave in time for a table in NBO for a decent dinner.............I am beginning to think my life revolves around food!! The Kembu idea was more to suit his budget, and it is only a short leap from Nakuru, and great for the short people of the world.

HK, Whatever you do, try and relax and enjoy, I hope your kids like early starts!!

Now I'd love to comment more, but I have a flight to catch this evening.

UK
9. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

Thanks Yankari,

Any advice on Family friendly hotels on the south coast in Mombasa, something reasonable I have to watch my budget travelling with 3 Kids:)

Leeds
reviews: 2
10. Re: Lake Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria in one night

Check out the Kigio Conservancy - between Naivasha and Nakuru (closer to Gilgil). Should be fun for the kids since you can go on walks, cycle and even fish.

On the walks, we were even able to get close to the rothschilds giraffe they have - should be an experience! This is assuming they aren't toddlers of course :-D

www.kigio.com