We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full day in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
Full day in Nairobi

We are arriving late in the evening from Amsterdam and will have a full day to explore Nairobi before embarking on a 12 day safari. As we are staying at the Serena hotel will we be able to arrange a driver through the concierge? I have emailed the hotel but not had a response yet......

Also, we might like to see the elephant Orphange but would also like to see a spice market, and have heard about Browns Cheese Farm which sounds great if it is accessible for a day trip? Clearly I am totally confused as to spend our time! LOL I would love to hear any suggestions or tips as it sounds like Nairobi could be a bit challenging to get around due to traffic, etc.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
1. Re: Full day in Nairobi

My suggestion would be to start with David Shieldrick Elephant Orphanage, then proceed to Giraffe Centre, then proceed to Browns Cheese Factory and Farm. I have not hear of the Spice Market in Nairobi, only the Masai Market. The reason for using the above route is because of traffic congestion in the city as the day wears on.

London, United...
2. Re: Full day in Nairobi

coj, Challenging could be considered an understatement, but hey, as an intro to Africa, it can also be a bit of a giggle.

You will be able to get a driver on the day, don't worry too much about organising that in advance. Also, you are now going to be bombarded by various touts offering their services or the services of someone that has driven them around for years and is excellent, reliable, cheap and walk on water, ignore them!

Most things people want to see are on the Karen side of town, with Browns in the opposite direction, just do one in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening.

My only suggestion is dine at the Talisman if you can make it, it is my favourite spot at the moment, though if you have been to the Farm, you may not be fit enough to do it!!

This may help too:

migrationology.com/2011/…

You could do Elephants, Giraffe Centre, etc, but how many are you going to see in the following 12 days!! And unless you really want to kiss a Giraffe, I'd skip it, unless of course, you have the Kids in tow.

GJ

Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: Full day in Nairobi

Are you on a business trip?

London, United...
4. Re: Full day in Nairobi

perminus, If you bother to read the OP's Post instead of lining yourself up for some blatant touting, it is obvious they are not!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Full day in Nairobi

Yep - Sheldrick Ele & Giraffe Park is easily doable from Serena. Ask taxi driver to take back route via Langata.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Full day in Nairobi

WOW - Thanks for the all the helpful information! We most likely will skip the giraffes, and will leave the elephants up for debate. GJGB do you think the Farm is worth a visit, & if so how much time should we expect to spend? also, Thank you for the recommendation for Talisman- it sounds lovely! Is the restaurant in the farm area, or on the Karen side?

London, United...
7. Re: Full day in Nairobi

coj,

I have never actually been to the Farm, only became aware of it last week reading a comment made by Yankari, how I could not have found decent Cheese in all the years I've been going is beyond me, probably to quick to exit NBO! I will however be dropping in when I get back there next week! I plan to do 'the tour' then lunch there, so a couple of hours I would guess.

Talisman is just near the Natumatt in Karen,which is on the right side of the town for your Hotel and it really is worth a visit, despite Ngong Road being infuriating to travel on!

8. Re: Full day in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 21, 2014