We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester County, PA
reviews: 2
Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

In my 3 open days in Nairobi, I was thinking of seeing Lake Nakuru or Bogoria (depending on where the flamingos are) and maybe Hell's Gate park. Is it possible to visit these as a day trip from Nairobi or do I need to stay over somewhere one night and do those sites over two days?

Thanks in advance for any help

London, United...
1. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Mike,

You won't get them all in to a day, you will be pushed to do it in 2 actually!

Flamingo - It does depends where they are, as you said, Nakuru hasn't been that great for them for some time, the last time I seen them in real numbers was back in Aug 11 at Bogoria. I wouldn't call that a day trip!

Hell's Gate - That can be done in a day, and is both beautiful and unusual, given that you can get out and walk about! The Gorge Walk is worth a visit there too.

GJ

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Yep - definitely possible to do in 3 open days. Day in Naivasha, day @ Nakuru & day @ Bogoria. You don't have to stay @ Bogoria, stay O'N in Nakuru to go to Bogoria.

3. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

I guess Hell"s Gate is doable in one day. Nakuru hardly as the tours start very early in the morning and it takes at least 4 hours to get there. (but doable in 3 days)

As to Hell¨s gate you can easily go - get up early take a van from bus station to Naivasha, from there take a van directly to Hell's gate - it itsn very far and they will drop you right at the entrance, You can borrow a bike there - recommeded. Cycle all day long, definitely take the Gorge walk.

Then you can either go pack to Nairobi or stay in one of the camps (they also have small huts) and in the veery early mornig go see the Naivasha lake (boat ride, some walking). it is very nice - the animals are quite used to tourist so they are not afraid at all and you can walk up to them pretty close. But really go early before other people start coming - it is amazing to be there alone. I guess all you have to do is mention to anyone in the camp you would like to take the Naivasha tour, hassle the price and they will arrange it.

Then - around 9 a clock in the morning you are ready to go back to Nairobi.

Hope this helped.

London, United...
4. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Stef,

That is a lot of one nights! Better I think, to do Niavasha for HG, then head for Bogoria (pink things dependent) and overnight there in the Spa Resort.

As I recall, Mike will have just done 4 days in the Mara, so Nakuru ( again, flamingo dependent) won't be essential!

5. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Well I dont really share the opinion that Nakuru is flamingo depended, I found it amazing even without the flamingos. Its completely different from Mara, which I did not like at all as it was overcrowded with cars. By the way 1 day in Nakuru is enough.

London, United...
6. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Clibnk, He did say he wanted Flamingo! And Nakuru, given it is totally fenced, is little more than a large Zoo really!

Brussels, Belgium
7. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

GJB,

I think L. Naivasha posses as the best destination at this time of the year? and i think he can do this with 1 and 1./2 days from Nairobi and this will offer a standard safari-with ample game drive and maybe a boat ride!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

It's 90 mins to Naivasha from NBI. Another 30 mins to Nakuru from Naivasha. And 40 mins to Bogoria from Nakuru. Worthwhile exploring all 3 locations.

Baltimore, Maryland
9. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

Believe me! you cant make it for all three places in one day. 2 days recommended. Hells gate together with the walk will take half a day and you cant do Nakuru neither bogoria in that same day. To enjoy your safari, depart from Nairobi early morning heading to hells gate, after hells gate take a boat at oloiden which also have quite a good number of flamingos. Proceed for overnight at Nakuru, second day game drive in Lake Nakuru park then proceed to lake bogoria. Depending with your timing you can spend overnight back in Nakuru or go back to Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
10. Re: Day trip possible to Nakuru or Hell's Gate?

...Worthwhile exploring all 3 locations in 3 open days.