We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peachland, Canada
Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Hi, we (two of us) are getting to Nairobi on August 21st in the morning and need to take the Friday the 23rd train to Mombasa. Do you think that we should pre-book our tickets or that if we go to the train station first thing in the morning on the 21st that we will be able to get 1st class tickets for the Friday train still?

Would hate to get there and have to fly last minute instead.

Thanks!!

London, United...
1. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Try looking on Seat 61 website, they used to have a link that allowed you to buy tickets in advance, I did it a couple of years ago, though we ended up flying!

Peachland, Canada
2. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

I've had a look on that, we just thought it would be easier to show up at the station and get them ourselves, I just don't know how quickly the tickets for the train sell out. Does anyone know, if we miss the train, is it easy to book a last minute flight to Mombasa from Nairobi?

Thanks!

London, United...
3. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

You can normally buy tickets for same day travel, I have met a number of people who have. For the small charge they make for the Booking, I personally think it is worth having them before you leave!

As for flying down to MBA, in theory yes, there are a number of airlines flying down there, I use Fly540 normally, but tend to book the day before.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
4. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

I have to say I've never heard of anyone not getting the train because it was full. Sure it must happen, but far more likely is the train is cancelled. Or out of service. :-(

If you can do it on 21st August, that's what I'd do. And plenty of time to book a ticket for a flight at any travel agency in the unlikely event the train is full.

Richard Trillo

Peachland, Canada
5. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Great thanks for tips!

derbyshire
reviews: 19
6. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Or you could get the coach from Nairobi to Mombasa, it's comfortable and cheap. Not as much fun as the train though.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
7. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

Going by train is an exciting experience but it's a long, slow, overnight journey. Upto 12 hours delays are not unheard of.

Have a look at his thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k5…

Other option is to take the Modern Coast Oxygen Luxury Coach. Goes at night & during the day.

8. Re: Train from Nairobi to Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 15, 2014