We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding in Nairobi during August

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Global African
reviews: 38
Birding in Nairobi during August

I shall be in Nairobi for 1.5 days during August, probably staying in Karen (Bush House & Camp).

Can anyone advise if there are places in Karen to do birding durinng the afternoons? On the map there seem to be a few green areas.

Is it safe to walk around the area? How large is Karen - whole area walkable, or need to take a taxi to get around?

Will probably do a 1/2 day trip to the Nairobi National park, early morning, which is why I ask about afternoons, I only have 1 morning as leave Nairobi very early on the second morning.

All suggestions welcome.

thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

There is a nature trail at the Giraffe Centre. I have seen bird walks being conducted there. http://giraffecenter.org/?page_id=2376

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
2. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

You can go birding almost anywhere in Nairobi. Karen is a pretty large area, with lots of long, tree-lined roads and lanes, so not realistic to walk around and cover completely. But any large garden or quiet road will have dozens of species. The longstanding regular bird walks in Nairobi are conducted by Fleur Ngweno (immortalised in Nicholas Drayson's novel "A Guide to the Birds of East Africa") which set off from the National Museum every Wed morning http://naturekenya.org/

Happy birding!

Richard Trillo

Brussels, Belgium
3. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

I have once been to the Arboretum in Nairobi and entry is free, the trails peolpe use for Jogging and the tree are a goo home to a large number of bird species-This is from my personal experience

Global African
4. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

Thanks for the suggestions so far - and for those to come.

Regarding the Arboretum, is it safe to go there with cameras and other equipment?

thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
5. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

The arboretum is fenced and has security guys wandering about. And there's a Ksh500 entry fee. I don't think it's as safe as sitting in the Thorn Tree Café, but I wouldn't hesitate to go there. If you are taking equipment, I'd go in company, and possible tip one of the askaris to tag along. Having said that, I haven't heard of anyone having any trouble.

Richard

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
6. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

Is there really a person called Fleur Ngweno? I love that book.

When we last had time in NBO we did a day trip to a small 'resort' somewhere west of Karen/Langata. Had Crocodiles and a Reticulated Giraffe. More importantly to me it had great birding in the grounds and was totally safe. Brain going so cannot remember its name.

Brussels, Belgium
7. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

My trip there was a nice and excellent. Fenced as Richard puts it, My guy in Nairobi who planned my trip there offered to accompany me make sure all is in order for free, but out of the humanity and hes excellent work and the company and the small knowledge he has on birds, i gave him something small for appreciation

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
8. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

If you are in the Karen area try Oloolua Nature Trail it is a small forest that will give you the experience of a lifetime within a short time. The Oloolua nature trail meanders through thick forest vines and undergrowth below giant indigenous trees and bushes, in some places following the course of the Mbagathi River that cuts through the forest.

Visiting Hours

Mondays – Fridays: 9:00am – 6:00pm

Weekends/Public Holidays: 9:00am – 6:00pm

Global African
9. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

Thanks to all for your help and kind suggestions. We now wish that we had a week in Nairobi!

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Birding in Nairobi during August

We plan to be in Nairobi from 22-25th April 2014, I assume the rains will be in force, what do you recomend as we are passionate bird photographers,