We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for a visa on arrival

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
reviews: 15
Paying for a visa on arrival

We are a family of four and will be arriving in Nairobi in a couple of weeks. I have checked the information on this site, and know that we can get our visas at the airport and it will cost us £120. I can see that we can pay in sterling, but are there any restrictions on the notes we should pay with? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I read on this site that they don't like to accept $100 bills. I don't want to turn up with two £50 notes and a £20 note (or 12 £10 notes say) and them not being acceptable for some reason. I'm trying to make sure I know enough before I go for the journey and arrival (and holiday) to run smoothly. This forum has been great for planning up to now.

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

For £, immigration accepts all denominations. Best to cary £20 notes.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
2. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

I'm not sure I'd take 50s- even in the UK they get viewed with suspicion in some places. Big denomination notes in any currency always make people edgy in case of forgery. I'd take 20s.

London, United...
3. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

Judith,

Used £10 and £20 last week without a hitch, Immigration are more used to seeing 'foreign' currency than you imagine.

As for £50 notes, I always use them for traveling, cuts down on bulk. I tend to change them with a reliable man my Nairobi overnight knows, but have used the Forex many times, and have never had a problem!

Now get that Visa Form filled in and Enjoy!

Nottingham
4. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

Thank you everyone!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

We arrived from the United States in June and paid with $100 bills. Easy and no hassle. Our second visit in 4 months to Nairobi. I have a wonderful driver who made lots of great arrangements for places to eat and things to see and do. email me if you want his name. Very reasonable, reliable, and trustworthy. Kellie@apologia.com

Nottingham
6. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

Thank you Kellie, but we are already booked for a 7 day safari with Kuoni. We just spend one day in Nairobi before the Safari starts. I'll bear it mind though if we manage to visit again.

7. Re: Paying for a visa on arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 12, 2014