We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 54
Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Our tour operator has suggested 'Carnivore Restaurant' for lunch while we are in Nairobi before starting our safari the next day. To me this seems like a more touristy restaurant and I'm not sure if it totally appeals to us. That day we will be visiting David Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage and the Giraffe Centre (I guess also touristy places but for food we like to try something more authentic to where we are).

Does anyone have any other suggestions on where they can take us for lunch that is convenient enough to these two locations and that might be more authentic or just a good place to try?

Thank you

Nairobi
11. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Hi,

Kindly try the Macushla not very far from the Giraffe Center

Vancouver
12. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I agree that traffic may not be the best to step back into after returning to our hotel so we will see how hungry we are and either dine at the hotel at Pango as suggested or if we can wait we will drive out later to avoid being stuck on the road.

Sounds like there are some great options so we are looking forward to trying a few while in town! When we return from safari it is also early afternoon and our flight does not depart until late so we might have time to try another of these suggestions then as well. Thank you

London, United...
13. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

lemonie604 ,

I wasn't aware of where you were staying, so aimed my suggestions around Karen, therefore the Talisman may be a little arduous for dinner given the traffic, You do have some great recommendations there, particularly from RWA and Yankari. Whatever you choose, Enjoy!

GJ

nyc
14. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Browns Cheese supplies most every lodge/camp in Kenya, at least those who know cheese.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
15. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Yes, I was going to say. Browns' is the real deal. I'd say – and I'm sure they'd agree – that they're absolutely the equal of any European cheese-maker, and far better than most factory-made European cheeses.

Richard

Vancouver
16. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Brown's Cheese sounds great! Maybe we can go there after the safari before our late night flight as we have pretty much the whole day until we fly out.

Also, just wanted to check... When paying for meals in Nairobi is US cash okay or should we be paying in local currency? Don't think we will be using it but just in case are credit cards (Visa) accepted? I'm sure we will be using cash but you never know.

London, United...
17. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Pay in KSH and most decent places take Cards. Rates are the issue, you will doubtless get a better rate exchanging your USD at the Forex than anyone else will give you, particularly your Card! Have a good one!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
18. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Yes, GJGB's right. If you pay for anything in Kenya in USD that isn't *priced* in USD, you're going to be paying over the odds. The local currency is much better. Most larger businesses accept Visa and MC. But cash is always welcome.

Richard

nyc
19. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

In Nairobi I always pay with KSH. For a meal though and a sizeable amount, you can use your Visa card which will be billed in KSH at whatever the exchange rate which is often quite good. When I have used my plastic the rate is about same as what I'd get if from an ATM or using a Forex...and if slightly less, to me the few shillings doesn't make much difference. Even if the particular card has that 3% Foreign Exchange Fee, still comes to pennies. And when considering what was just paid for safari an extra $5 overall... big deal.

You do have options.

Vancouver
20. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

An extra few dollars here and there to be able to use Visa instead of having to look for forex or ATM machines is well worth it while on holidays. We will have KSH and USD on hand but it's nice to at least have the option just in case!