We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 56
Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Our tour operator has suggested 'Carnivore Restaurant' for lunch while we are in Nairobi before starting our safari the next day. To me this seems like a more touristy restaurant and I'm not sure if it totally appeals to us. That day we will be visiting David Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage and the Giraffe Centre (I guess also touristy places but for food we like to try something more authentic to where we are).

Does anyone have any other suggestions on where they can take us for lunch that is convenient enough to these two locations and that might be more authentic or just a good place to try?

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Try Tamambo at Karen Blixen coffee gardens, or Talisman, or the new Hemingways Hotel. Also have a look at www.eatout.co.ke

London, United...
2. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Carnivore is extremely touristy, to the point of disappointment nowadays. Look at going to the Karen Blixen Museum and stopping at the Coffee House for Lunch. Their eatery is now run by the same Company who run Carnivore, etc.

GJ

Vancouver
reviews: 56
3. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Great suggestions! Tamambo and Talisman look really nice and probably more what we are looking for atmosphere wise.

Any ideas for dinner? Or maybe if we do one for lunch we will do the other for dinner. We are staying at the Fairview but we haven't researched what is nearby. I'm not sure if we have the driver all day or if they will drop us off after the Giraffe centre so maybe we will look around our hotel neighbourhood on places for dinner.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
4. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

I thought Amaica was great for adventurous but well prepared and sensitively served pan-African food, with Kenyan regional specialities. Good place for dinner. There are a couple of branches.

And Brown's Cheese Farm, on the Limuru road, beyond Tribe hotel, near Brackenhurst, is fantastic for cheese and wine fans - and anyone who also likes a big lunch. Top tour, top food, and nice people. It's a bit more than a lunch spot, so you need to plan on 4/5 hours, but not expensive. Any good hotel can book it.

Richard Trillo

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

The Fairview has great dining options. Their fine dining Pango is excellent. Also remember traffic in Nairobi is a nightmare. If you have a full day out, and rerun late afternoon, don't leave the hotel till after 8 pm to avoid being caught in traffic.

I wold spend the full day out with lunch and then relax at your hotel in the evening.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
6. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Instead of moving around, you may want to stay at the Giraff Center for simple lunch before going to the Sheldrick's. They have a small cafeteria, a gift shop, and a local craft shop. Hurried tourists come and go but you can relax and have the place all to yourselves and feed graffes and watch them nibble on the rock salt.They also have a hand wash basin after their long slimy tounge(antiseptic).taking food from your hands.Also watch resident wathogs running around.

Even though out of the way from the city center for dinner, I'd recommend the tented outdoor Habesha Ethiopian restaurant ~1.5km past the Yaya Market Building which houses cafes,a supermarket, Sunday afternoon outdoor souvenir market, etc.Habesha is dirt cheap but offers great delicious foods.

London, United...
7. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

If Dinner is involved too, I would do Lunch at Blixen and definitely Dine at the Talisman. I was there last Friday evening, and I was truly impressed, as were all my UK guests. Do try to order all 3 courses at once, we could not decide on dessert initially, and when we did order, after the Main, it too a while. to arrive, our fault entirely, and it was a very busy night. Mains were circa 1400KSH, except for the Ostrich Steak which run to 2200KSH, but were worth it!!

London, United...
8. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Richard,

Decent Cheese in Kenya?!?!?! I think you have just found those folk a Customer for life! I take it we are talking Limuru Rd in Muthaiga? I suppose asking you about their Port selection would be a bit too much!

Thanks as always for what I am sure will be an excellent recommendation, as normal!

GJ

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
9. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

Maybe you should try Nairobi Mamba Village. The heart of Mamba's attraction lies in the exquisite meals offered at the restaurant ,where the guests can excite their taste buds and toast to our exemplary services. The menus feature an array of African,continental,game meat and the popular weekend grills that make dining at the Village a trip down culture and tradition.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
10. Re: Nairobi Restaurant for Lunch

I'd second Richard's Cheese find. Browns makes excellent cheese. They are never going to be your French, Italian or Swiss quality, but for Kenya brilliant. When you compare to the other local varieties, exceptional in quality, taste and value for money.