We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

Hello,

My daughter is going on a school trip to Nakuru and I just wondered if anyone might be able to advise me about what may be the best idea for her to be able to contact me back in the UK.

I mean, would it be better to bring a phone with her and buy a SIM there, or buy a phone and SIM whilst she's there (and if so, which network)?

There won't be daily communication (once she starts messing about with her mates, I'm sure I'll be the last thing on her mind), or extensive chit-chats, but I'd like there to be the option of us being able to contact each other nonetheless.

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Many thanks

Sean

11. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, September 24, 2013
Kansas City...
reviews: 1
12. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

If your daughter, or someone in your family likes to travel ,it may pay to get a Mobal Global phone. They sell for about $60 dollars but you can use them in most international countries and you keep the same phone and number for years and years (the rest of your life). It's free to activate this service (and online) and you would just turn it off, take out the battery when you get home...until someone wants to use it again. I have had my Mobal Global for 6 years, have activated it 12 times and have found it to be a "no brainer" when going from country to country. The only thing that changes is the minute fee and it is well worth it for peace of mind.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
13. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

As a retired teacher and very used to dealing with students, I still advise bringing a cheap unlocked phone from UK and buying a sim card here. The phone I got is a Nokia 100 and I got it from Carphone Warehouse because I wanted to use it in UK. If she loses it or it is stolen, there's nothing much lost. Yes, it is cheaper to get one here in Kenya, but it is very likely the staff in charge of the trip won't want that responsibility on top of looking after a group of excited students on their first (?) visit to Africa!

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 6
14. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

Also to note that all phones from Carphone Warehouse are unlocked (or so they told me).

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
15. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

No need of buying another phone, Let her come with her phone and buy a sim card here that cost less than a dollar. Safaricom is popularly used and that will give her a chance to buy a scratch card or to top up in even very remote areas.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
16. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

Please note that for calling UK landlines, both Orange and Airtel are much cheaper than Safaricom, unless Safaricom has changed its rates very recently. Texts from all networks are 10/- so you can talk to a landline for about 3 mins for the same price as a text using an Airtel (+44) or Orange (888) call.

Dubai, United Arab...
17. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

A very good post.

Appreciated from <a href="http://reviewpakistan.com">http://reviewpakistan.com</a>

Nairobi and Mombasa
reviews: 89
18. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

I have 2 sim cards. Safaricom for my daily use. Airtel when I want to phone back to the UK. So if mainly for UK calls Airtel sim. But to get both is very cheap.

Yes... unlocked mobile phone will be needed.

Find one with a good battery charge time.

SR

trichy
19. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

She can use her UK cellphone in kenya with their local sim card ..But before that she have to unlock his mobile from network lock ..If she is having blackberry mobile model then she can easily unlock his mobile using sites like http://www.unbblock.com/ here they render unlock code for all Blackberry mobile models at reliable cost .Else if she is having some other mobile model then she can easily unlock it using sites like http://www.simpleunlocking.com/ here they render unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost ..After unlocking her phone from Uk network provider she can freely use it in kenya with their local GSM sim ....

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
20. Re: Mobile Phone Usage From Kenya.

We had a visitor who got his UK phone unlocked in UK. It cost him about £20 and then didn't work here!! He ended up buying a cheap phone here for less than £20!!