We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I had a great experience on a Kibera tour

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 56
I had a great experience on a Kibera tour

I'm writing tripadvisor reviews for my 6 week Africa trip and apparently the company I booked a Kibera slum tour through is not on tripadvisor. In case you come here looking for one, I would recommend a company called Kibera Hamlets. You can quickly find their website doing a google search. What they do is similar to Kibera Tours, but they have a transparent price of 1000 shillings per person for a ~2.5 hour tour, and I didn't visit any shops. The first part of our tour was spent going to see murals around the slum painted by students from the school that Kibera Hamlets sponsors which was really interesting. Anyway, if tripadvisor is you place for research here's another option. I give it five stars.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: I had a great experience on a Kibera tour

Thanks. Can you please elaborate more on the tour. Ow did you get there? What other sights did you see, how we're the people, etc. cheers

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 56
2. Re: I had a great experience on a Kibera tour

Sure. I organized via email with the owner, John. One of his employees, Marcy met us at a nearby Nakumatt from where she took us to the Kibera Hamlets office via matatu. There we met John and he explained to us all of the different objectives of the organization. Then he said "our two hour tour starts now." We then saw an impromptu acrobat performance from children at the school. Apparently one of the ways the organization makes money is by booking acrobat performances. The A-list group was on a trip to Mombasa at the time. John, Marcy, and a another employee then took us around. We went to a lookout over Kibera, then walked along the train tracks for a while and cut through the streets until we were back at our starting point to catch a matatu back. I believe that anyone could walk us around the tour, but Kibera Hamlets is a great organization and it was a pleasure to meet the people we interacted with. There was no pressure for a donation but John made it clear it's a possibility.

3. Re: I had a great experience on a Kibera tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 02, 2014