We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

We have 5 or 6 days after being in the Seychelles for a week that we want to spend going on a short safari somewhere . We will be traveling at the end of April/beginning of May. We want to fly from the Seychelles to Nairobi. Where is the best place to go on safari out of Nairobi during that time period? I know it is the rainy season, will that make animal viewing more difficult? Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
1. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

Best place would be the Masai Mara and Laikipia. I went to the Mara mid April this year and had a phenomenal viewing experience. Despite rains the animals are always there. Spend 3 nights Mara, 2 nights Laikipia. I wold take a flying safari.

nyc
2. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

Agree with RWA, however, depending on arrival time at NBO from SEZ and if as suggested above the areas to visit and having to coordinate with internal Kenya flights, you might have to spend a day in NBO where you can do some sightseeing... just check your int'l flight schedules.

Flights to/from Laikipia are usually in the morning; for the Mara there is both a morning 10am and afternoon 3pm flights. Even if you encounter some showers, these are two excellent areas and be assured the game don't go on holiday!

3. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
San Francisco...
4. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

So after a bit of research and planning we now will arrive into Naiobi on Saturday afternoon and will be leaving early the following Saturday.... so basically we have 5 nights available to be "out on Safari". The other 2 nights we will be in Nairobi.

We will definitely do 2 or 3 nights in the Masai Mara and the other nights I am debating between the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and Laikipia. We will be flying between the camps. One TA told me "(the crater has it’s ‘own’ climate so chances of ‘better’ weather is greater in the crater, and they have excellent game viewing)" Plus I have heard wonderful things about the Crater with the negative being crowds. Since we will be there at the end of April I am hoping the crowds will not be there. Does anyone have an opinion on which place would be better to visit and why? Thank you again for your help and information.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
5. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

To get from the Mara to Ngorongoro, you will need to fly through Nairobi. It is one long trek. Spend 2 nights in Laikipia, and then fly to the Mara for 3 nights. Safarilink usually have a flight from Laikipia area to Mara direct daily. Then an afternoon flight to Nairobi, overnight Nairobi and off the next morning.

nyc
6. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

Not only is Ngorongoro is another country requiring another Visa and Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same just for entry to Tanzania, you really don't have the time spent with transfers and flights are limited (no hourly shuttles, for sure) Besides, not everyone raves about the crater... lots of visitors feel it is just 'ho-hum.' Best to stay in Kenya. The combo of Laikipia/Masai Mara or Samburu/Masai Mara or Meru/Masai Mara would be excellent choices.

San Francisco...
7. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

Thank you.... we will stay in Kenya. Do you think any of those areas are better to visit in April/May.... i.e.. less rain?

8. Re: post seychelle .... safari question. Traveling in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014