We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

Hi - I am heading on a massive African overland tour from mid Nov '13 - mid Jan '14. Although they say that a sleeping mat is provided I have heard it is better to take your own. I am looking at getting an Exped one but don't know whether to get a Down or SynMat. Will it be too hot at night for a down one (I have heard they are the best)? I also need some advice about what type of sleeping bag to get - synthetic or down? I am in Australia so if anyone knows of some good brands available here that would be really appreciated. I am trying to work out what temperature rating to get..

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

Depending on where you're going, you'll rarely need to be inside any kind of sleeping bag. Your main concern will be staying cool a lot of the time. If you give us your route, I'm sure people will advise!

Richard

Perth
2. Re: Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

Thanks RIchard - I am going from Nairobi to Capetown through Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia (but obviously not in order of countries I am visiting)

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

We are in the UK but we actually bought our last set of sleeping bags and mats from Mountain Design while travelling in Oz and NZ.

Not sure if there is one in Perth but check out their website

mountaindesigns.com/store/…

I should add we had a really helpful assistant as we were buying a lot of camping gear at the time. I think they even carried the stuff back to our hostel.

Anyway I'm sure they'll be able to advise on a suitable lightweight mat and bag.

Would also recommend a silk sleeping bag liner for when it gets really hot at night.

Edited: 11:44 am, June 16, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
4. Re: Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

I would go for the SynMat, as if you do get cold (evenings in some of the areas you are visiting can get cool), you can use your sleeping bag for warmth. Get a Down sleeping bag, but also as Val suggests a sleeping bag liner. That way if you are hot, just sleep in the liner. If it starts getting cooler, you can use the sleeping bag.

5. Re: Sleeping mat and sleeping bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014