We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Kenya
Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Some of the tour operators have excellent and good reviews which add up to 30 reviews and then only one review that state the operator is terrible, does this mean the tour operator is bad or only this client did not get satisfied for some reasons we can not understand

nyc
1. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Not necessarily. Maybe the one negative had more to do with the poster than the tour operator. Or if there was a mess-up, something the operator has no control, i.e., a tire puncture, the guide wasn't talkative enough (or too much), change is accommodations (happens sometimes), roads terrible and thus late getting to a lodge/camp... whatever.

Best, why not name the outfitter and if others have used, can comment specifically.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 62
2. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

I wouldn't worry too much when you see one bad review amongst 30 positive ones as different people have different expectations. I have just read a review rating a hotel 1 star when all other reviews are 4 or 5 stars for the same hotel. The reason for the bad review no TV in the room and the hotel entertainment finished at 11pm

The entertainment and TV were important to this person so hence the poor grade. Other people who reviewed the hotel didn't think not having a TV or entertainment as being important and so gave the hotel a higher grade.

kampala
reviews: 6
3. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Some times small things make clients sad and this can be fixed so it does not make him or her bad. thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Thank you all for the positive thinking, i also would go for the tour operator who has many positive reviews and one or three negative ones, this shows that the review are genuine and independent from the clients compared to the one that has all positive review and none is negative

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
5. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

One of 30 review being bad, I normally ignore. Also have a look at the reviewer and what their other reviews are like, when they joined TA, etc. it will give you an idea if their review was genuine,

Ilford, United...
reviews: 18
6. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

It takes all kinds to make a world and as Bruce said it can take something like the lack of one item that may seem trivial to another traveller, or when on a group safari one guest not getting along with another that can spoil the whole holiday and so reflect in the review

As an example I stayed in a Travelodge in Birmingham last weekend, I rated it 4/5 but another traveller reviewed on the same day as me and only gave it 1/5...looks like they had the same negatives as me but they let the negatives affect them more than me and so reflected in the review. I normally stay in Premier Inns and knew Travelodge to be a lower caliber so was not expecting "luxury"

I work in an industry where we were once told a complaint is "an expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or not". I usually look at the glowing reports and the totally dreadful ones...read them...then pay attention to the 3 & 4 star reports as they will probably give a truer reflection (not saying that the 1,2 & 5 star reports are not to be believed either!).

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 151
7. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

Even if the bad review is legitimate and there truly was a mistake, that doesn't mean the operator is terrible. We all make mistakes. For example, on another forum, there is a TO that has about 95+% fabulous reviews (100+ reviews) and a couple of legitimate bad reviews over the past 5 years. The TO does about 150 tours a year. So, sooner or later, a driver is late, a car breaks down and can't get easily fixed, a lodge loses a reservation, there is a money mix up, or even worse. Would you use a company that does it really well or better >95% of the time? I would. That is pretty good odds.

Also, as stated, read the history of the reviewer and the specifics of the complaints. If there are no specifics, then disregard completely.

Boston...
reviews: 71
8. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

One of 30 review being bad, I normally ignore. Also have a look at the reviewer and what their other reviews are like, when they joined TA, etc. it will give you an idea if their review was genuine,

^^^^^^^^

Exactly.. I consider the source then decide if the one negative review is worth considering

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

If you need a great, reliable and trustworthy driver and tour guide I can recommend the gentleman we used both in Jan and June. We returned in June to Nairobi with our children and grandchildren to do some sightseeing and then onto safari. His rates are most reasonable!

Good luck and email me if you want more info

kellie@apologia.com

10. Re: Does one terrible review mean that the tour operator is bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014