We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 107
Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Regarding my international flight , I have the option of arriving in Nairobi at either 6:30 am (which includes a nine hour layover in Amsterdam) or 8:00pm (with a 2 hr layover in Amsterdam) .... each segment of the flight is 7 hours. Question is, arriving at 630am, would I be able to check in? If that were the case, I could book a day room in Amsterdam for the layover and rest up between segments.. If I arrive at 8pm, that leaves little time to rest, and I would be off the following morning for Tsavo East, unless i book an extra day at the fairview. I really don't care about seeing Nairobi... But I'm just wondering what might be the best way to do this. What would you do?

Michigan
reviews: 35
1. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

I've done both, arriving at 8:30am and at 8:30pm and much prefer the evening arrival. Reason is that basically, you are arriving their time, get to the hotel by 9:30pm, have a chance to unwind a little, then go to bed. That way, you are getting into their time zone better. When I arrived in the early morning, I went from the airport, through the traffic, to the hotel (Safari Park). They did let us check in abou an hour later, but then after a brief lunch, we were off to the Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen house, Carnivore and a briefing about the trip. After the 2 long flights, everything was a blur and I wish I could have enjoyed the places a little more. Last trip, I spent 2 nights in Nairobi - which was fantastic. Slept decently the first night. Then the next full day, went to see the ellies at public visit, Kazuri, back to the ellies, dinner, then a fantastic sleep to start out the safari. Will do it again next trip.

Laurena

Michigan
reviews: 35
2. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Forgot to mention, that I choose a 2.5-3.5 hour layover in Amsterdam. Give you time to wash your face, walk up and down the halls prior to the next flight, and there is a nice museum right in the airport you can go to. Also, since the plane you will be boarding is quite large, they start the boarding at least an hour ahead and security screening takes a little while with the long lines.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

I fly to Kenya all the time from Nevada through Amsterdam as my layover. I have done both the short and long layover in Amsterdam (SCHIPHOL) and my personal choice is the long layover since i have the opportunity to get much needed rest in their airport hotels (YOTEL & MERCURE) before proceeding to Nairobi.

Thats my personal approach:)

Dearborn, Michigan
4. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Oops

Edited: 12:35 pm, June 12, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
5. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Oops

Edited: 12:35 pm, June 12, 2013
nyc
6. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

I too prefer the night arrival. Get to the hotel, shower the eau de Boeing off, and to sleep. Next morning I'm just fine whether to go out on safari immediately, though more often do plan this day in/around NBO as there is much to see and/or people/friends with whom to visit/catch-up.

Much better to get where I'm going on the outbound as sure wouldn't be a happy flyer with a 7/hr layover, nor if I did decide to take a hotel room (AMS), to be moving about much after an 7/hr flight from JFK. The 2/hr layover is just perfect and then I'm onto my final destination. What you'd pay for hotel in AMS with train or other transfers to/from is about same as the day at Fairview in NBO which is lovely and where you're supposed to be.

The only time I've arrived early and that's still mid-afternoon has been on Emirates but you hit horrific traffic from airport to hotel at that hour... though fares were too attractive (then) not to opt for going thru Dubai even if a 12/hr flight from JFK.

Besides, with the KL night arrival, there's little traffic from airport to hotel; morning arrival tends to have lots of traffic where it can take 2-3/hrs before arriving at hotel. Normal hotel check-in is 11am earliest, so unless you've paid for the night prior, and hotel might not have a room available if arriving before normal check-in... what then? Wait in lobby as a 'lost child?'

Dearborn, Michigan
7. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking the evening arrival would probably be best.. Though the idea of a day room is appealing, I am concerned I wouldn't get much of a rest, all hyped up, yet afraid I might over sleep and miss the connection. And that morning traffic in Nairobi sounds awful. Spending an extra day in Nairobi is makes sense, but will have to think on that. Thanks again for all the advise.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 143
8. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

Also remember that the night arrival is on a KLM plane, while the morning arrival is on a KQ plane. Some prefer KLM over KQ.

Fairview is usually a very busy hotel, and an early arrival that is not pre-booked the night before rarely gets a room before 1100.

Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
9. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

I prefer arriving early in the day on trips to Africa, whether morning or afternoon. I've been on flights that were scheduled to arrive in the 8-9 pm range only to experience delays that got me in at midnight. By the time I got to bed, it's after one a.m. and there's not much sleep time then with flights out to the camps around 10 a.m. or early morning car pickups. (However, I probably wouldn't choose a 9-hr layover to get the early arrival.) Perhaps it's being >60 but I find those Africa flight itineraries increasingly grueling. I find it much, much more relaxing to know that I will have a full day to totally veg out before moving on to the safari. Even if your room is not ready, you can sit in the lobby, grab a breakfast, or, if the place has a pool, sit poolside until the room is ready.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Early morning arrival or evening arrival from the states

I, too, have done both from the states. I liked coming in in the morning and having a day to see so many of the above mentioned things in Nairobi. Kazuri was one of my favorites. I have hired a private driver very reasonable who picked me up and dropped me off within the time frame I had. I wouldn't miss the extra things to do in Nairobi. Let me know if you need his name. His is very, very reasonable!

kellie@apologia.com