We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs with Plus symbol

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
ATMs with Plus symbol

Are ATMs with Plus symbols in the JKIA airport? Are they widely available in Nairobi? Has anyone used them successfully recently? I've done a search on TA but the threads I could find are a little dated.

I got myself into an awkward position last year when traveling in Nepal, when my bank debit card just wouldn't work and I couldn't access any cash. This was after I had told my bank ahead of time that I would be using my debit card for cash withdrawals in Nepal. I'd really like to avoid this in Nairobi and have access to cash!

Thank you for your input!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

Hi,

The ATMs from all the major banks accept cards from the Visa family, Plus is part of the Visa family so you should be OK. You should definitely be OK with Barclays ATM's they are my Kenyan bank and my local ATMs carry the Plus logo. There is a Barclays ATM at the airport, on your immediate left as you leave the baggage / customs area. I seem to remember there is also a Barclays ATM airside on the main corridor though I can't remember exactly where. (Arrivals and Departures share the same airside space at JKIA and all the gates are off the same corridor)

It has been some time since I used ATMs from other banks but I think I recall seeing the Link logo on at least some of them. there are a few other ATMs at the airport but I've always used the Barclays one (even before I had an account as I always pass it) so I don't know where the others are.

You should be aware that foreign card transactions are occasionally refused, this is usually down to comms problems within the Kenyan network so it either can't connect to your bank or a reply from the overseas bank is not being received before the transaction times out. It usually doesn't mean there is a problem with your card. So either try a different ATM or try again later.

North Coast
reviews: 1
2. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

Last year I tried 3 ATMs at Jkia, 2 wouldn't accept my card & the third ATM gave a maximum of approx $40 . This year I'm taking US cash to exchange, I'm not relying on a debit card again. Another thing I noticed was the rate was much better for USD than our AUD(even though at the time our dollar was above parity), but I don't know about CAD rates.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
3. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

ifn,

What logos did your card have? While virtually all ATMs here accept cards bearing the Visa family logos, (Visa, Plus, Electron) It is a different story for the Mastercard family (Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus) they are only accepted at the ATMs of only a few banks (Barclays, KCB and CFC Stanbic are the only ones I am aware of)

It is strange that you could only withdraw $40, that is around 3,400/- (KES) in USD or 3,225/- in AUD. The withdrawal limits vary bank to bank and location of the ATM, (remote ATMs tend to have lower limits to prevent them being emptied too frequently) but they range from 10,000/- to 40,000/- with 20,000/- and 30,000 probably being the most common.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

Doffcocker - Thank you!

lfnaustralia - I'm also curious to know which logos your card had. Sorry to hear your card didn't work, I know how stressful and frustrating that can be!

North Coast
reviews: 1
5. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

My card had the cirrus logo. Luckily for me, other family members had enough Ksh converted (from cash) to cover my share of tips etc required. As to the low amount being available, I thought it strange at the time, but not having used Kenyan ATMs before had no others to compare. Having an overnight stop only in Nairobi before heading to the Mara early the next morning, I will be taking cash to convert this time. Only 19 more weeks!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
6. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

Sometimes the ATM has a very low cash withdrawal limit because it needs "topping up"!

Some of our visitors have been advised to go to Barclays ATM when the local ATM won't accept their card. (Advice was from Bank Manager here).

7. Re: ATMs with Plus symbol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 14, 2014