We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari recommendation

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Safari recommendation

Hi,

I'm traveling with my family in July. Our kids are under age 6, so I prefer something easy and casual, not too exciting safari. Some of the safari tours stay in tented camp, while others live in lodge/hotels. Seems to me hotel/lodges are more suitable for me because of young children, but I'm not too sure because we've never been there before.

Could you share your experience and help us find the right safari tour to join in this summer?

Thanks!

nyc
1. Re: Safari recommendation

Tent camps are perfectly safe and depending on age of children most likely at least 1/parent/adult will share with the young ones as they're not permitted to sleep alone. Best part is that most properties, children under 6 might be FOC (free of charge)... though some might use age 5/yrs as cut-off. Regardless, their rates will be discounted. . It's not at all unusual for young children to go on safari and there are actually few camps that do not permit children under 6/yrs... so yours are good to go.

Many camps have tents for 'families' so all can be together. Or 1/parent can share with 1/child in tents close to or adjacent to the others... just ask. The important thing is that the children understand rules/regulations, as 'no walking alone at night' 'not tempting nearby animals to come to you, they might' and others you will be advised about.

If you're looking at a group/set tour, you often have no choice as to where you stay - lodges/camps - but what the tour has arranged. If you plan your own routing/itinerary, you can choose the lodges/camps that you feel will work best for all of you and this can be a combination of both lodges and camps.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
2. Re: Safari recommendation

Agree not to venture too far out for a safari with the kids

Ideal location is Nakuru NP, only 3 hours drive from NBI on tarmac road. Some murram road to get to the lodge.

I just got back from Nakuru, i spotted lions, gazelles & rhions there.

Have alook @ Lake Nakuru Lodge & Sarova Lion Hills. Some rumours of Porini opening a lodge there too. Check with them

http://www.porinisafaricamps.com/

Other option for safari is Lake Naivasha. I think kids will like venturing out into Hell's Gate, boat rides on lake to see hippos. Recommended places to stay are Sopa & Lake Naivasha Country Club.

nairobi
3. Re: Safari recommendation

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I would like to inform you that not all tented camps are dangerous.There are those luxurious tented camps eg Sarova mara,Siana Springs Camp,Kichwa Tembo and they have electric fence all round.I have been into these camps and the stay is lovely.Just make sure that you specify the age of your children and the interests of your safari.Maximum care will be given as per your requests and you will enjoy your safari.

Leeds
reviews: 2
4. Re: Safari recommendation

Where are you staying or are you just coming for safari?

If staying in Nairobi or perhaps on the coast then safari options could differ.

5. Re: Safari recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 09, 2013
Indianapolis...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Safari recommendation

We just returned June 30th from a safari with our entire family and two young grandchildren ages 9 and 10. We stayed in two different tented camps and absolutely loved them. This is our second safari this year. Feel free to email me should you have more questions. I am happy to put you in touch with the person that made all of our arrangements. kellie@apologia.com

7. Re: Safari recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014