We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 9
Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Hi,

Hoping to hear some great tips to get through Nairobi airport quickly. Arriving from London with a US Passport and will already have my Visa and will not be checking any luggage. Can someone let me know the best way to avoid lines and get a quick exit? Will it be obvious where I need to go?

Thanks,

D-B

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Out of plane - down the ramp - Immigration - customs might stop you for a brief chat ( have you duty free / gifts ) and walk out the door ....

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Thank you! That was just what I was hoping to hear!

D-B

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Even if you have a visa does it not need to be stamped on arrival and departure? Don't know - just curious. Surely you have to show your passport on arrival - even if you have a visa. Or do you mean show your passport at immigration? And if so isn't that the same queue for everyone - visa or no?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
4. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Yes Val,

if you have a visa you still need to go through the immigration process, the two desks for people with visas are right next to the two for people getting visas on arrival. if there are queues they are side by side. It does take less time for the Immigration Officer to process someone with a visa as they do not need to fill out and affix the sticker in the passport (the rest of the process is the same), also the majority of people seem to get visas on arrival so that queue is usually bigger. However there have been times I've been through when the queue for people with visas has been longer than the queue for people getting one. The last two times I have been through, getting a visa on arrival, the first time there was just one couple in front of me and the second there was no-one at all, so i was straight through, while both times there was a double figure queue for the 'with visa' desk.

Davinci,

If there are big queues check out the other set of Immigration desks (there are two sets linked by a corridor at the back of the hall near the tables where people fill out the forms)

nyc
5. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Even with Visa you have to stop at Immigration for stamp besides photo and fingerprint.

The length of queue will be what it is. But with carryon only, it is what it is... then down the stairs to baggage claim, thru Customs (to declare or not) and out into the Arrivals Hall to meet guide/driver or to grab a taxi. And depending on traffic, may have a long drive to your destination.

Edited: 1:18 pm, May 31, 2013
Nice, France
6. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Can someone confirm that you CAN get a Visa on arrival at JKIA in Nairobi, I have an Australian passport? Many thanks ---while I'm at it can u get a Visa on arrival in Tanzania as well, will be a border crossing from Nigeria into Tanzania ---

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
7. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

You can definitely get a visa on arrival at JKIA, Nairobi. No photos required, just the filled in-form which you can pick up in the hall or print off in advance and fill in. You'll need US50, €40 or £30 in notes.

I'm pretty sure you can usually get visas on arrival in TZ too. There's no Tz border with Nigeria, however…

Richard Trillo

nyc
8. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

harrioff -

Yes you can get both Kenya and Tanzania Visas at official borders - airports or land. However, transiting between Kenya and Tanzania (also Nigeria into Tanzania though no direct border) you also need the Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same (yellow card with detail of when inoculated) for entry as required by the TNZ gov't regardless what the World Health Organization might indicate.

While there is no guarantee this 'proof' will be checked (agent on duty dependent), if it is and you don't have... the TNZ govt has the right to give this to you on-site at fee of USD$50.

Edited: 12:36 pm, June 01, 2013
Nice, France
9. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Thanks for that info, I meant from Kenya to Tanzania, the border crossing is at Namanga ---

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
10. Re: Have Visa/only a carry-on, tips for quick airport exit?

Davinci - the delay is usually waiting for baggage, so with carry-on only you should be through fast.