We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari in Masai Mara

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
China
reviews: 3
Safari in Masai Mara

HI,

We are independent travellers and would like to know whether it is possible to hire a private car driver for game drive only and we book the lodge and tented by ourselves. Does any body know which tour operator may provide this kind of service?

Thanks

Nairobi, Nairobi...
1. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

Dear Panda,

Hello!

Yes its possible to hire a car and driver for game drives n Kenya and Tanzania, which parks do you intend to visit a van per day U$150-upward and a landcruizer U$160-upwards check www.charterlink-tours.com, www.kileleafrika.com

nyc
2. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

Even independent travelers find it economical to book thru a tour outfitter for meet/greet, transfers, hotels/lodges/camps (they get discounted rates vs going direct where you're offered the 'rack' rates- highest), and all fees/taxes are included.

Also, depending on camp selected, some do NOT allow visitors to arrive with own vehicle by land, rather available on a fly-in basis only.

Which camps are you considerings?

Do you plan to drive to/from (5-6/hrs) NBO/Mara/NBO?

Do you plan to fly (50/min) to/from the Mara?

China
reviews: 3
3. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that independent travellers usually have to pay more. My case is that my tour operator cannot book the lodge or camp that I want. That's why I prefer to book them on our own but I know some national parks have some rules that we don't know. Anyway, this time I have to rely on my tour operator. The most concerned accommodation is in Masai Mara. I know that Keekrorok lodge has room available at rack rates, for Senera, it appears to be full already. How about Fig tree camp? Any sugestion?

Thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 143
4. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

The lodges you are looking at, any half baked travel agent / tour operator should be able to book. If yours can't, I'd change them, as they may not be reliable.

Nairobi
5. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

I totally disagree with roadwarrior this day lodges in the Mara fill up by April for the high season.We are having overbooking in most lodges.Try Serena Mara and you will be surprised or shocked that you cannot get even a single room in August.

NAIROBI
reviews: 10
6. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

Its possible you book your accommodation direct and get a Driver Guide upon arrive as long as you have a good arrangement with the Agent to ensure your not overcharged.

mombasa
7. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

Hi,

Yes there are professional driverguides you can hire to mara. You can call this no. 0722820364, Last Samner Ngao, is an independent safari driver who is available and does good work to show you around the mara and other parks.

8. Re: Safari in Masai Mara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014