We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Alcohol

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 26
Duty Free Alcohol

Just a little message of warning for those traveling on KLM from Nairobi to London via Amsterdam. Don't be seduced by the cheap alcohol at Nairobi airport... I bought a bottle of Absolut as a present and promptly had it removed whilst going through security for my London flight. Although it was in a sealed plastic bag which had not been unsealed the only explanation the blank faced security officer offered was... it is not allowed!!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

I would have argued my case over that. We had a similar experience at Mombasa with aftershave bought in duty free, still sealed. After a few words, customs backed down.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 49
2. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

It's Dutch law I'm afraid, this is from the KLM website

❝Travel starting outside the European Union: according to an EU regulation effective per 29 April 2011, passengers who started their trip outside the European Union and who will transfer at an EU airport may again be permitted to bring with them duty-free liquids and gels bought at non-EU airports. However, the authorities of the Netherlands and some other EU countries will continue to maintain the rule that passengers travelling from non-EU countries are not allowed to bring duty-free liquids and gels with them when transferring at an EU airport.

We therefore strongly advise against buying any duty-free liquids and gels at non-EU airports if you will transfer at an EU airport since liquids and gels might be confiscated upon boarding.❞

London
3. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

Thanks for this - thought there would be something somewhere on the website but also just wanted to generally warn those who like me don't read as much as we should.

London
4. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

I am not sure this particular KLM official in Amsterdam was going to accept any argument - the blank stare with the slightly raised eyebrow reaction to my argument said it all. I did try - it was a present for a good friend. I just do not want people to make the same mistake as I did. Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
5. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

The same thing happened to me traveling through ZRH, However when I flew from Dubai to Zurich and then onto London it was allowed. Also I was told from Africa, only liquids bought in JNB are allowed through transit.

6. Re: Duty Free Alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 22, 2014