We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
China
reviews: 3
lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Hi,

I also heard about there are very few flamingoes now in lake Nakuru. They all go to Lake Bogoria. So, should I go to Lake Bogoria rather than Lake Nakuru? I will arrive at Nairobi on 27 July noon and originally plan to go directly from the airport to Nakuru. How about Lake Naivasha? Anything special in Naivasha? I guess it is quite close to Nakuru. Actually, the most important part of my trip is the annual migration.

Thanks.

Shenzhen, China
1. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Yes go to Lake Bogoria for Flamingos.Nakuru has no chance of getting back the Flamingos Soon due to the ongoing rainfall that have made the Lake to flood.

Nairobi
reviews: 14
2. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

I would go to Bogoria for the Flamingo and spend more days in the Mara if am interested in Migration.You are right no Flamingo in Bogoria and not in Nakuru.

China
reviews: 3
3. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Hi,

Thanks for you guys' replies. Do you mean that there are no flamingos in BOTH lake Nakuru and Bogoria? Is Bogoria much farther than Nakuru from Nairobi?

Thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Dear Panda,

Lake Bogoria would be good if you are interested much in flamingos,which is about 1.5 hrs drive from Nakuru town.In lake Nakuru there are only a few flamingos left due to fresh water due the heavy rain making the alkaline lake neutral thus they opt to go to lake Bogoria.

Thanks

Nairobi
reviews: 14
5. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

Hi Panda

what we mean is that there are more flamingos at Lake Bogori.In actual sense in thousands while Nakuru Lake maybe tens and its not easy to access the lake shore due to floods.Most roads are closed and others flood and inaccessible.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 10
6. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

It' worth being aware that there's very little in the way of accommodation at Lake Bogoria. You might consider basing yourself a little further north at Lake Baringo and you can have a wonderful time visiting both lakes.

Alternatively, Bogoria is an easy day trip from Nakuru. Lake Elementeita would also be a very pleasant place to base yourself (and not much further from Nairobi than Naivasha) for a visit to Lake Bogoria.

7. Re: lake Nakuru vs Lake Bogoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 07, 2014