We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of safari in Kenya question

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
reviews: 10
End of safari in Kenya question

We are booked on a 11-day trip that ends at Masai Mara in August Our flight out of NBO is at 1030PM. We have 2 options:

1. Get back to NBO by 1230 PM and spend half a day there. Any suggestions of things to do would be appreciated. We will have a car and driver.

2. Second option, is to extend our stay at our Mara camp ($!) by a few hours and get back to NBO by 530 PM or so and fly out.

I am leaning towards option #1 (given that we would have spent 5 nights at mara), but look to input. And many thanks to TA posts in the past to my questions.

Torrington...
1. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

I have a similar situation in Oct where I'm flying out of the Masai Mara and get into Nairobi at 12:30 but my flight isn't until 11:30 pm. My travel agent set us up at the Palacina wear we can relax for the day. It's a hotel but also serves for people with wait times like us. For a small fee (I think around $50 per person) we will have a 3 course meal at their restaurant, lounge and shower facilities, coffee, tea and pastries and then a ride to the airport.

Nairobi, Kenya
2. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

Since you will be having a car and the drive. your drive can take you to visit Karenblixen Giraffe center and also at carnivore restaurant for dinner then drop you at JKIA on time of your flight

Hartford...
reviews: 10
3. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

Thanks, Carrie and Fomaka- will look into options.

Nairobi
reviews: 16
4. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

Since you will be arriving past 12 noon then Giraffe Center and the Karen Blixen Museum is the best bet.End at the Carnivore restaurant before drop off to the Airport.Kwaheri!

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

After safari, the Giraffe Centre is a bit tame and Karen Blixen House isn't much to write home about either. Carnivore is over-priced and not that great. These things are ok if you desperately killing time in Nairobi but not worth a visit otherwise.

If it was me I would find a nice hotel and relax by the pool before your long flight home. Its a trek from the Mara - whether you fly or drive - and having somewhere to freshen up and chill would definitely be my choice.

Edited: 1:51 am, April 27, 2013
Michigan
reviews: 54
6. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

I'd agree with Val - Giraffe Center is not much after safari. You won't have time to visit Sheldrick. So unless you wanted to take in Kazuri Bead Factory or perhaps the National Museum (to get some walking in before the long flight), I'd option for a place to rest, repack anything, get a bite to eat (and for me, the last thing I'd want to do is eat a huge meal at Carnivore before stepping on the plane), and relax before your long flight.

nyc
7. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

The Palacina is lovely, but rather expensive for a dayroom. Though their restaurant here is great and many locals eat here. Maybe consider the Fairview with lower price and has a few restaurants on the grounds from which to choose. Just for consideration.

If you leave 11am flight to Wilson and sightsee, you will have to pay whatever entry fees direct as these rarely included in price for driver/vehicle.

Regarding the late departure from the Mara, most camps charge a fee, but it's maybe $110/pp + extra lunch (total about $150/pp). You have an afternoon game drive to airstrip for 4pm flight to Wilson.

If you have own driver/vehicle for entire afternoon till drop off at JKIA, and if you do foster a baby chubby from Sheldrick, you can arrange/reserve to visit yours at 5pm where foster parents can, for 1/hr then head off for dinner somewhere.

Suggest you compare the extra you would pay for late departure vs the dayroom with the earlier from the Mara... then decide which works better for your budget.

8. Re: End of safari in Kenya question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 29, 2014