We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Our flight arrives at Jomo Kenyatta Int on a Thursday at 2.45pm. Would we have time after booking in at Safari Park Hotel to go into the city by taxi and do some shoping before the shops close. I would be looking for a leather handbag & some african type table cloths. Our tour starts the following day.

I asked a question regarding shoping the other day, giving our itinery while in Africa & had only one reply saying the best place for what I'm wanting would be Narobi but I don't know if I will have time.

Any suggestions would be welcome please.

Many thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
165 reviews
1. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Hello. If you land at 2.45 pm, you should be at Safari Park Hotel to 4.00 pm. By the time you check in, etc., it will be gone past 4.30 pm, and too late to really head anywhere, as traffic will become a nightmare.

Unless from the airport, you were to head straight into the City or Westlands, do your shopping and then go to the hotel. As long as traffic is not heavy, then this option could work. In Westlands there are markets opposite Sarit Centre. Your driver will know where they are.

RWA

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Sorry, by the time you check out from JKIA, you won't make in time to City Centre. Shops close at 5

There's a shopping centre called Capital Centre on Mombasa Rd on the way to the hotel.

It's the closest shopping centre from JKIA. You "might" get something there..

Otherwise, the The Banana Box @ the Sarit Centre stocks some pretty good stuff.

I reiterate RWA's point heavy traffic on the roads.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Definitely would not battle through Nairobi traffic to shop. Maybe you could pick up these things at the shops in the airport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Depending on where your tour takes you, you will likely find all of the "African Tablecloths" you want in any of the large curio shops you will stop at along the. Failing that you'll find it all at JKIA shops on your way home. I concur with the others - fighting Nairobi traffic, at that time of the day , to go shopping, is not a great way to start a safari!

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
5. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

Many thanks for your suggestions. I gess I will just have to keep my eyes open as we travel along & may be mention to our Tour guide what Im looking for & hopefully he / she will be able to help.

Thanks once again ay

6. Re: Kiwis first time in Nairobi. How long (time) does it take to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 29, 2014