We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever vaccination

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai
reviews: 12
yellow fever vaccination

HI we are a family of four travelling to Kenya on vacation from India. After the Kenyan part of our holiday, we pan to fly to Seychelles for a few days and then return to India.

I understand that while we dont need a yellow fever certificate to enter Nairobi, we do need one to go to Seychelles after Nairobi and also to re enter India.

Strangely, there seems to be no stock/supply of the yellow fever vaccine in India anywhere. So we are wondering, as a last resort, if we could get vaccinated upon arrival in Nairobi? Can anyone please advise us if that is possible and where it can be done? Also approx costs?

Thanks a lot.

Bengaluru...
reviews: 114
31. Re: yellow fever vaccination

@siv1977: The Govt facilities in India charge INR 270 (US$ 5) if they have it in stock. INR 7000 (US$ 120) charged by the private clinic is 24x the Govt charge! Wow! India exit is allowed without the YF vaccine. Some travellers have been known to get the YF vaccination after arrival in Kenya. You would then be allowed back into India since your YF certificates are checked on arrival in India.

@SheelaPi: My son and I did not experience any side effects at all after the YF inoculation. Ironically, we did not encounter a single mosquito in April, during our trip to a few areas in Kenya. There was a wide variety of food in all the lodges we stayed in. We did not do a 'camping' or 'mobile' safari, so I guess we were well looked after.

The YF inoculation requirements are a factor of which countries you are travelling from and where you are headed to. There are country specific requirements. Some countries do not allow you to enter without the vaccination if you have travelled in a country in a YF zone. Some countries seem to have no such restriction.

Our story starts here (in 6 parts): …blogspot.in/2013/04/kenya-here-we-come.html

If you are a first time traveller, our experiences may help you. :)

- Jyoti

New Delhi, India
reviews: 1
32. Re: yellow fever vaccination

Hi,

I wanted to find out if anyone has travelled recently from Delhi/Mumbai to Nairobi, without the yellow fever vaccine, due to non-availability of stock and managed to get the vaccine in kenya and returned back to india, without any concerns?

Looking to travel in July and been unable to procure the vaccine from anywhere, seems that around April the vaccine was still available in limited quantities, but recently there doesnt seem to be any stock available including the 5 government certified centres in Delhi. They have a Min. of Health notification, saying that if you bring the drug, they will vaccinate you and issue you the certificate but cant seem to find it anywhere in Delhi, even with private suppliers.

Any help/ suggestions. Need to book my tickets soon and figure this out ASAP!

33. Re: yellow fever vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, June 24, 2013
Chennai
reviews: 12
34. Re: yellow fever vaccination

Hi. We recently travelled in May to kenya and Seychelles. We live in Chennai and were unable to get the vaccine prior to our departure.So we got our shots at Nairobi. All the big hospitals there have stock and the process is very simple. It costs Kenyan shillings 3000 per head. No side effects.

We were not asked for the yellow cards upon return to India at immigration. Of course we went to Seychelles from Kenya and returned to Chennai from Seychelles. Since Seychelles is not endemic, perhaps that is the reason we wre not asked for the yellow cards in Chennai on return.

I would advise you to get your shots in Nairobi.

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 40
35. Re: yellow fever vaccination

We are in the same boat. We are currently living in India. There is no Yellow Fever vaccine currently available and hasn't been for 2 months here. We leave for Nairobi and then on to Tanzania for 10 days and then have a 4 day stopover in Dubai. India requires a yellow fever vaccination for reentry. I am trying to figure out where we an get a vaccination to meet this requirement.

Vancouver, Canada
36. Re: yellow fever vaccination

Hello, I am travelling from Vancouver Canada to Mumbai in march and planning to visit Nairobi after a week of stay and will be there for only a week, would i need a yellow fever vaccination and where can i get one in Mumbai,

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
37. Re: yellow fever vaccination

If you are going from Canada to India then on to Kenya you will not need the YF vaccine to enter Kenya.

Where are you going after Kenya?

If you return from Kenya to Canada you will not need it.

You will need it if you return from Kenya to India. You will also need it if you travel from Kenya to another African sub-Saharan country

38. Re: yellow fever vaccination

I am going back to bombay after a week stay in nairobi and then flying back to vancouver from there. So it will be ok to not get a vaccination going to nairobi? But will i need one going back to mumbai from there and back to vancouver from mumbai

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
39. Re: yellow fever vaccination

Correct, you won't need it to enter Kenya but you will need it to re-enter Mumbai having been in Kenya. You won't be asked about it when re-entering Canada as conditions there mean you could not introduce the disease to the country.

40. Re: yellow fever vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 21, 2015