We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
First time trip to Kenya

Hello!

I am taking a first time trip to Kenya this summer for about two weeks. I'd love to hear about your favorite attractions as well as anything to stay away from. I think that for 4-5 of the days,we may go to mombasa-- I see that flying down there is better than driving. Do you agree that is a good length of time?

I'm interested in seeing the culture, history, and wildlife in Kenya. I'm also interested in taking a safari for maybe one night ( but preferably one that I can sleep in a lodge.) Any suggested companies? Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your great experiences.

Edited: 10:56 am, April 09, 2013
VA
reviews: 182
21. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Gee go all the way to Kenya and only 1 night on safari? Then spend all that time at the beach?

If you want to see some things around Nairobi it only takes a day and a half tops. Skip any ideas of theater as the U.S. has way more and better. Kenya is about the animals and people. At your time of year, if options and money are limited, drive north to Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Nanyuki about 4 hours north and stay at Sweetwaters Tented Camp which is more like tenting in a Hilton. It has a watering hole and every sort of animal you can imagine. And/Or go up to Mt. Kenya to the Serena Mt. Lodge about 2.5 hours north of Nairobi, where the watering hole attracts night viewings from your balcony. Between the two you will see most of the different large and small animals. Then if you must... you have plenty of time for the coast.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 84
22. Re: First time trip to Kenya

And please don't forget that Lakipia is good for seeing both white and black rhinos as well as African wild dogs. There are is also plenty of other wildlife and birds there.

Torrington...
23. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I am also going to Kenya soon (Oct) and live in CT! Staying at giraffe manor one night and in the Masai Mara for 5 days. Am looking for packing tips ...

Torrington...
24. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Can I ask what kinds of meals are served at Giraffe Manor?

25. Re: First time trip to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 16, 2014