We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 9
Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Hi everyone,

My family of four is about to take our first safari and I am stressing about packing. I have done a trial run of packing and think we are going to be able to take one carry-on back-pack each on our flight to Kenya along with one or possibly two camera bags. My only question is whether I am going to be able to get our liquids down to the 3-1-1 TSA/European Flight rules. I think I am going to be able to manage it except perhaps for shampoo and bug spray. Does anyone know if toiletries and bug spray are available at the Giraffe Manor shop? We are staying there our first night and I thought that if I can't get all liquids into the carry-ons that I would buy what I needed on the ground the first day. Any advice appreciated.

TIA,

D-B

Mombasa, Kenya
1. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Are you not allowed any checked in luggage? I think that even if you are taking internal flights you have 15 kg each (total for carry on and checked in luggage). The requirement is to have it in soft strong bags rather than in hard cases, but this extra bag or two that you can have for your family of four will certainly help you sort out all the problems. Possibly, of course, you have some particular restrictions.

In any case shampoos are provided in all lodges and camps as well as hotels (except possibly for the very basic camps), insect repellent comes in form of cream in case this can help you, I personally find cream easier to use anyway.

Enjoy your trip!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Washington DC...
2. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Hi and thanks for your message. Yes, we are allowed checked-in luggage but our trip to Kenya is a side trip from a much larger family adventure. So we will be taking a subset of items to Kenya and for various reasons, it would be much easier for us to take only carry-on baggage. So, I have it down to about 15-18 pounds each in four backpacks along with one camera bag (though we may take a second camera bag as I mentioned above). My only real concern is whittling down the liquids and creams to be carry-on compliant. I think I have done so except for shampoo and bug spray/cream. Just wondering whether I will be able to pick that up at Giraffe Manor at the beginning of the trip.

D-B

Mombasa, Kenya
3. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

I see....! Wow, 15-18 pounds each - I take my hat off to you! :)

I cannot tell you exactly what they have but I would encourage your to drop an email to Giraffe Manor directly and ask them. If they say that their gift shop does not have the items you can always ask them to purchase for you and put it on your bill - we certainly would do such a thing gladly for our guests. People running Giraffe Manor are really nice and I am sure they will oblige. Worse comes to worse, there is a big shopping centre on the way from the airport where you can stop by for 5 min and buy the missing items. Also there are dry shampoos available in the shops overseas, they come in a form of a soap, I am sure you have such a thing in the US.

I hope this helps :)

Larissa

Washington DC...
4. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Hels very much, thank you. I'll drop a note to Giraffe Manor though I am also glad to hear that there is shopping on the way to the airport since we will be flying to our first stop (the Mara) the next day.

LOL-Ihave taken to heart the maxim to pack light. It does help that two of us traveling our little kids whose clothes are therefore also little! Other than that, I will be relying heavily on the camps' laundry facilities and a deck of cards for entertainment!

D-B

Mombasa, Kenya
5. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

iPad proved to be invaluable for me with my two small kids and travelling with them a lot on my own! My books, films, communication with the world and all imaginable kids staff - all is there!

As one of the regular forum users 4sandi says: 3 sets of clothes is sufficient - on one you, on being laundered and one is fresh from laundry!

Enjoy your trip, I am sure you will!

Larissa

nyc
6. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

The 'liquid limit' is for your international flights only, and if you've managed to get each of the 4/backpacks down to 20/lbs... you should be very proud!

Once in Kenya for safari which I assume will be flying, there is no liquid limit, but know the backpacks will have to be checked for under the plane as there is no room inside the very small cabin. But you are allowed to take onboard, a smaller carryon (tote bag, or day pack) along with camera. And I would seriously recommend that you take more than 1/camera... as each participant should have their own. Kind of ridiculous to be passing one camera between the four when each is sitting at different positions in a vehicle, each possibily seeing different from another; even if one of your group doesn't go out on a game drive and would like to take pics of game that wander about at camp... or birds; or if some do a bush walk and others game drives. There are some small, inexpensive cameras that take great photos. And, don't forget binocs.

Now to your question - yes GM does provide shampoo, conditioner and even lotion as you'd find at any fine hotel. When it comes to repellent, if not actual lotion, spray or creme (as I don't recall), they might have available in individual foil packets (like wipes would be) - tear open, apply from sheet onto exposed skin, but not on face or back of neck, then dispose. And remember to wash off before retiring. Sleep under mossie nets if provided. And the rooms each have a can of Doom that you might wish to pray the room before going down for dinner (but do not spray over your bed linens).

Note: Not everywhere you stay will have sufficient juice to plug in a hairblower (if you bring your own that must run on 220/V with the 3-flat prong plug, so it is strongly suggested NOT to plug=in blower, curling or flat iron without knowing for certain it won't 'blow' everything. Many places do provide at least a blower each room/tent, others might have for guest to borrow. Good idea to have a hat, bandanas, barrettes, scrunchies, etc. if you expect a 'bad hair day.' We all have them :-)

Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 3:13 pm, April 06, 2013
Washington DC...
7. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Thank you both!

Larissa - We had assumed we would be leaving the iPad behind but I think I will rethink that now. Can it be recharged at camps?

4Sandi - As Larissa pointed out, it was from you that I got the idea of packing in threes. That's how we are under 20 pounds each, including paperbacks and binocs! We will be taking two serious cameras and one micro-Canon point and shoot for the kids. Each of us will have binocs. THANK YOU for telling me about the hair dryers. I wasn't planning on taking one, I just assumed that the camps would have one. But, just in case, I will buy and take a headband now. Er...I mean, I will wear on the flight. I don't want to add an ounce to my carryon! : )

Arusha, Tanzania
reviews: 6
8. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

The management at Giraffe Manor is great, but they really don't have a gift shop. I am sure that they will be able to make a few purchases for you in advance (bug spray, etc.). Contact Giles, the manager, his email is giraffe@giraffemanor.com If he is not able to help, you can always ask the driver to stop at the Nakumat, open 24 hrs a day and has everything. Kind of like a WalMart. Ask your driver to help find the items and you should be in and out in 15 minutes, while the rest of the family waits in the car. Further if you have not yet even had time to exchange money, Nakumat accepts USD with a fair exchange rate.

Edited: 4:47 pm, April 06, 2013
Mombasa, Kenya
9. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

Yes, you will be able to charge iPad everywhere. If a camp does not have sockets in the tents, they will have a central point where you can charge it. Do get a universal travel adapter, I do not move anywhere without a couple of those! They will have all sorts of push out pins including British standard thee flat pins for local sockets.

You can also get a micro sim for iPad from Safaricom at the airport on arrival near gate 11 by the ramp to go to the immigration. If they don't have at the airport, they will have at the same shopping centre at the Safaricom retail shop, it costs 100 shillings (USD 1 is apprx Kshs 83), get a data bundle - 3GB which is plenty is Kshs 1,500 (less than USD 20) and you will be able to use Skype to make voice calls to another Skype or to a phone (landline or mobile). Check tariffs first and charge up your Skype account with a small amount. If you have an unlocked phone, even better - buy another sim card and put some credit on it, calls to the US on Safaricom are Kshs 5 (five!) per minute to the US, definitely landline, I can check how much to call to mobile and let you know tomorrow. If you do not need to use iPad for browsing and can use your phone for emails, forget about microsim for iPad altogether! Or don't bother about the phone. Anyway, there are many options for you to stay in touch with the world.

Larissa

10. Re: Question about Girafe Manor's gift shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 08, 2014