We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa ?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Transit Visa ?

Hi Guys

Does anyone if i can get a transit visa to enter Nairobi from Nairobi airport ? i will be having 12 hurs stopover in Nairobi ( coming from Dakar heading Cairo )

i was thinking of entering the town rather than stay at the airport, i will be arriving Nairobi at 6 am on a Saturday, so

1- Do i have to get the visa from Cairo ? or is there an option for transit visa ?

2- Any recommendation to do during that 12 hurs ( Giraffe centre, Sheldrick's ,... etc) ? and how to go ? taxi ?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Transit Visa ?

Yes, you can get a transit visa at the airport. The giraffe center, Sheldrick's and Nairobi National Park are probably the main things to see if you are more interested in wildlife. If you want to go into the park, you could probably find a game drive vehicle for the day. Otherwise you can use a taxi, but be ready to negotiate. I have talked them down to around 6,000 KES for a full day. Be very careful about the traffic and don't risk missing your flight.

Level Contributor
14,030 posts
2. Re: Transit Visa ?

You will need a Transit Visa @ USD$20 on arrival Nairobi.

For sightseeing, depending on your arrival time... most sightseeing opens 9am and closes 5 or 6pm. Keep this in mind and remember you have to allow 2.5/hrs for checkin/security for your onward flight. Know also traffic in Nairobi is horrible, so expect and allow for delays.

Can't say whether, if I understood your query, whether Egypt offers a Transit Visa, but the regular Visa is only USD$20 (believe for citizens most passports)... check with the Egypt tourist page. Good luck.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Transit Visa ?

i mean i may apply for a regular Visa to Kenya from Cairo , but if the transit visa process is easy, i will go for it.

it is available on the airport ? the normal immigration offices ?

also what about shopping ? is it close to the area where the national park is ?

4. Re: Transit Visa ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 04, 2014