We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Hello,

I (30 yr old, asian female) will begin my safari trip to Kenya/Tanzania from Nairobi and am thinking of doing the Nairobi portion myself (DIY) to save cost, instead of combining it with the safari package offered by tour operator.

Like a typical first-time tourist, I plan to go to the following places:

- KWS Animal Orphanage

- Nairobi National Park (is this still worth going considering I am going to Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru etc?)

- Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe center

- The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

- KICC for Nairobi views

- US Embassy Memorial site

- Maasai market

- Uhuru Park

- Etc,

Questions:

1) Are these sights all doable in 2 full days? assuming I will have hire a driver that drives me everywhere, or join a day trip (eg. to Nairobi NP)

2) Where is a safe place to stay? Is it really necessary to stay at or near Nairobi town center? What's the advantage of basing yourself in town center or near it?

The reason I ask is because hotel prices (4 stars and above) seem quite expensive ($220usd and above), while I noticed that are some cozy guest houses further out that are cheaper. Some of the ones I have seen so far are located in the area between Ngong Road and Waiyaki Way (ie. west of Nairobi town center). is this area alright to stay?

3) Where exactly is Westlands or Upper Hills area in Nairobi? are these places recommended for staying?

4) I am likely going to be by myself at Nairobi while waiting for a friend to join me for the safari portion of the trip, so will ideally look for a tour operator or company that will let me join their trip as a single person (with other folks), instead of me renting a whole van by myself and breaking the bank. Any suggestion on how to go about doing that? Also, should I choose to spend one of the 2 full days outside Nairobi instead eg. to Amboseli to see Mt Kili? At the moment, my Kenyan safari portion only visits Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru; Tanzania portion (Serengeti, N-Crater, Tarangire, Manyara, Arusha)

The most important criteria for choosing a place to stay will be cleanliness and safety. The cheaper the better ($50-$60 or less), but of course not to compromise quality as well. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Killenaule...
reviews: 1
11. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

its better to have a travelling companion if its your first time in kenya.i think bomas is not in walking distance, i been at the music culture show its really very good,.also i really enjoyed my trips to the horse racing on sundays to ngong races, nice food places there and bars and wonderful experience and betting,.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
12. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Have a look at Ndemi Place. The staff there are very helpful. They have a website. I loved staying there.

The car plus driver we recommend for our visitors is Kenya Adventures and Getaways run by James Mwongera. I'll send you a private message with his contact. You can find him on Facebook as well.

13. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, April 04, 2013
London, United...
14. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

mishyq,

You should check this place out:

http://wildebeestecocamp.com/

good clean, very safe accommodation, with a variety of prices, and many travelers of all ages staying. I have used their old site, which was much nearer town (now closed) many times and briefly visited the new one when under construction, I always found the standard more than acceptable. In fact, I now stay here rather than the Norfolk!

The staff are friendly and helpful, and they had (I assume still have) a variety of tours available at reasonable prices, the good thing is, with so many visitors, you can normally 'team up' with someone else and keep the price down.

It's most certainly worth a look.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
15. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Thanks! I saw wildebeest camp and thought it;'s very cute and cozy place to stay. but if i am going to safari for the next 12 days i figured i will be staying in places like that all the time! anyway, still on the fence,,

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
16. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Did you look at www.ndemiplace.com? Not tented!! It is an old house, quiet, but very accessible to Nairobi.

London, United...
17. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Fair point, particularly on the accommodation front, if you have looked at the Deluxe tents, but there are Dorm/Room options and all sorts. Though as you are at a loose end for a day or 2 the ability to ‘team up’ with other for trips, etc, would be the main advantage of the place for you. They also did, and doubtless still do, a guided tour of Kibera, which is rather fascinating, not at all what I would do, but my other half and son (then 14 years), were really taken by it.

It is the whole friendliness of the place that makes it, on a number of occasions, I have loaded other guests into my 'truck' and driven them around the normal tourist haunts, and even visited Nairobi NP twice for a full days game drive with people who did not have access to a vehicle but were desperate to see it. If there is something you wish to see, the staff will normally find one or 2 more people who are interested and will willingly introduce you. It’s just one of those places!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
18. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Thanks for this info GJGB. It could help our visitors as well.

London, United...
19. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

Asifwe,

My pleasure. I hope it helps, they are good people and it's a nice place. I'll be back there myself soonish.

I think we had a few exchanges about self-drive a few years back, when some American guy needed advice. Good to see you're still about.

GJ

Indianapolis...
reviews: 8
20. Re: Where to stay in Nairobi and what to do? (for 2 full days)

We just returned from the US from our second visit to Nairobi. We stayed the first time at Scripture Mission in Karen. Very safe. Quite simple. Cost about $40 a person with breakfast included. We hired a private driver to take us to all the sight seeing things you have listed as the traffic is horrible and you will need to be on a schedule to see them all. If you need the driver info please email me at kellie@apologia. he is very reliable and trustworthy as well as reasonably priced.