We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many parks in Massai mara ?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 3
How many parks in Massai mara ?

Hi

I am planning to go for the 2 nights / 3 days safari from Nairobi to Massai mara, i saw big deviation in prices between the tour operators, ranges are from 300 USD to more than 1000 USD , my question is , is it only the matter of car, accommodation , food , ... etc ? or the there are several parks inside where it will make that difference ?

Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
11. Re: How many parks in Massai mara ?

Masai mara National reserve is one, the difference you see with the prices is mostly due to the grade of the

accommodation whether its luxury or budget also the mode of transport is considered in the quotation

When selecting a package, beware of safari scams. Research your prospective safari package provider.

Travel deals that sound too good to be true are most likely Scams.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
12. Re: How many parks in Massai mara ?

It's worth knowing that there are a number of different authorities in the Mara region, so yes, in a sense there are a number of parks. Management of the Maasai Mara National Reserve is shared by the Mara Conservancy in its western third (known as the Mara Triangle) and Narok County Council in its eastern two-thirds.

Then outside the national reserve you have privately owned land, much of which has now been pooled by the Maasai land-owners who have grouped together to lease their individual holdings as large private conservancies to tourism operators who run smal, usually luxury tented camps under strict rules of operation. The camp operators agree to limit tourism numbers to 1 bed per 3km2 (about 700 acres) and no more than 12 tents per camp. In return for annual rent and bed-night fees, the landowners agree to limit their livestock grazing to times of hardship or not to graze their cattle and goats at all.

The main conservancies, where the model has really taken off are Mara North, Olare Orok, Naboisho and Ol Kinyei. Siana is on the way to becoming a conservancy. There's strictly limited casual access to the conservancies to visitors who aren't staying in them. In practice, most visitors staying outside the conservancies won't be able to visit at all. Wildlife is steadily repopulating the conservancy areas, and in some areas is the equal of, or better than what you'll see in the reserve itself. If you can afford the averagely higher prices in the conservancies (there are no lodges or budget camps) you do get a fantastic experience, and most conservancy camps offer a free full day in the reserve for every 3 nights in camp, which is a popular option when the migration is in full swing and people want to try to see a river crossing.

What you don't get in the conservancies is dozens of other vehicles crowding around an animal sighting.

Richard Trillo

Boston...
reviews: 9
13. Re: How many parks in Massai mara ?

Richard: "there are a number of different authorities in the Mara region, so yes, in a sense there are a number of parks. Management of the Maasai Mara National Reserve is shared by the Mara Conservancy in its western third (known as the Mara Triangle) and Narok County Council in its eastern two-thirds."

Unfortunately it seems the Trans Mara County Council and the Narok CC are "merging" and it seems that the Mara Conservancy's contract to administer the Triangle may not be renewed. Also, people staying in the Triangle will be allowed to do drives in the Narok side of the river and vice versa. I hope that the corruption and mismanagement that is the hallmark of the legacy Narok CC does not undue the progress that the Mara Conservancy has made in the last ten years. I fear that these are not positive changes for the Triangle - more traffic and what in business could be termed a "hostile takeover" of the Triangle by the Narok CC.

reviews: 15
14. Re: How many parks in Massai mara ?

I understand your apprehension. I went to Kenya in 2011 for the big migration and used a tour outfit called "Benefactours." They specialize and customize safaris and volunteer packages for travellers going into Africa. They were very upfront and coordinated everything so that I had no apprehension as a single female traveller. All my questions and concerns were addressed promptly and there was no hesitancy in booking with them. I had booked over 9 months in advance to ensure lodging and safaries for the wildebeest migration and there was no issue with my deposit up front and then paid the balance a month prior to leaving. If you're looking for someone to trust your bookings to, I'd check out their webite. Cheers and Happy travels.

15. Re: How many parks in Massai mara ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 04, 2014