We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 16
safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Hello

I am off to Kenya for 3 weeks in September with a friend. I am looking for accommodation in Nairobi and Mombasa. It looks like the River Road area in Nairobi, whilst very good location wise, is not a good place to stay - is this correct? I am unable to find secure places to stay which are central enough - many places in my guide book do not have an e mail address.

Many thanks for your help.

1. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
2. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Judging by your post, obviously you're looking for a budget place to stay. it's not advisable to stay in River Road. Consider Comfort hotel or Sirona Hotel. Both have website, Google them up

In MBA, budget places to stay in town are Lotus and New Palm Tree hotel

Do you want recommendations to stay close to the beach ??

Nairobi
3. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

There is a new hotel which is nearly a year old since operation at the junction of Moi / Murang'a road opposite Jevanjee gardens called " The Clarion " hotel, they still have new facilities or Kenya comfort hotel on Muindi mbingu street, palace hotel also round the same area, Delta hotel on university way, directly opposite central police station. Try any of them , they are situated in safe areas and are budget hotels.

Good luck

Allan

London, United...
4. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Many thanks for the quick responses. I am not looking for a budget place to stay as such, but I thought the River Road would be central for buses etc which is why I mentioned it though it looks like it is not a good place to stay. Perhaps I ought to opt for the CBD.

Stefanilarda and allanchasia - thanks for the names and if you have recommendations for Mombasa, that would be great. I have a mailed a few but have not heard back from them yet.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 34
5. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Try Central park hotel. It is central and good value for money.

http://www.hotelcentralpark.net/

around 3-4k a night.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
6. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Hi - most hotels (3* onwards) charge a single suppl. (most cases 50%).

If that "does" put you off , then have a look these options in North coast Kenya Bay, Kahama Mombasa & Pride inn Mombasa. There's Kinondo Poa , Diani Sea Resort in Diani

PM for more recommendations @ the coast

Wales
7. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

I always stay River road area Greton last few times and find it safer. If I was a mugger I would go up town to rob someone with loads of money not someone coming out of a down at heel bar on River road. River road area has places open all times of day and night so more people around so I feel safer.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
8. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

When you say Mombasa do you mean Mombasa Town which is on an island or the Mombasa area (North and South Coast) where the beaches are?

London, United...
9. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Hello

I mean Mombasa town, not the coast area.

Thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
10. Re: safe area to stay in Nairobi & Mombasa

Hi,

There aren't huge numbers of hotels in the Town, most people choose to stay just across Nyali Bridge on the North Coast at Nyali or Bamburi Beach (far wider selection of hotels, restaurants, etc and much more to do, plus swimming pools and beaches to cool down by). Most people stay here and go into the Town to see the sights, etc, surprisingly given its history there aren't a huge amount of sights, and a day might be enough to see them, after that you might find the Town crowded, hot, dirty and noisy. So if you are staying for any length of time you may be glad to escape the Town.

However if you do want to stay in Town the Lotus Hotel is mid-price and in the quieter part of town handy for the Old Town, Fort Jesus, etc

Others are Castle Royal & Hotel Sapphire (more expensive), Royal Court, New Palm Tree