We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area of Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Safe area of Nairobi?

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting Kenya this month and I was wondering if a certain area of Nairobi is safe to visit. My husbands parents lived in Nairobi and my husband would like to see where his mother grew up and where his parents lived. We know the house and apartment are no longer there but we would like to see the area. The roads are Ngong Road (we have the name Adams Arcade?) and Riara Road. I apolgize if this is a silly question but we have been told that we shouldn't go to the area where his grandparents are buried as it is unsafe so I want to check about this area. Please note we are not staying in the area, just want to go look.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 86
11. Re: Safe area of Nairobi?

Dear Isha,

You'll be fine as long as you take the same precautions as you would anywhere else. You shouldn't walk around at night.

Mombasa, Kenya
12. Re: Safe area of Nairobi?

Isha,

There are a lot of expatriates living in Nairobi: embassies, UN, NGO's, World Bank, EU - you name it!

As africanman said above take usual precuotions. I would also suggest talking to people who live here once you arrive and folwo their advice. Depending on where you will work there might be a security department that would advise you on behaviour, etc.

I came nearly 25 years ago as an expat and made Kenya my home now :)

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
13. Re: Safe area of Nairobi?

We just paid our second visit to Nairobi this year from Indianapolis. We returned with our children and grandchildren and felt safe the entire time.

14. Re: Safe area of Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014