We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liberec, Czech...
Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

I am flying from London to Nairobi airport. I have to get VISA on arrival and have only 2 hours to catch Nairobi - Mombasa flight.

Will I make it? Both flights are with Kenya aiways, can I check suitcase all the way to Mombasa? Which signs do I follow at Nairobi airport? Is it long walk? Thank you for the answer.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
1. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

just posted this on your duplicate question

"Hi,

I've done this transfer many times with KLM / KQ, I've usually had between an hour and a half and two and a half hours to do it. I've always done it in less than an hour . Last time I only had an hour and one of my bags didn't turn up so I had to go to baggage control where they told me it hadn't made my 50 minute connection in Amsterdam and told me to see baggage control in MBA to make arrangements for it. I still made the connection.

Your bags will be checked through and you will have a boarding card for the Mombasa flight but you will still have to collect your bags. You have to collect them to go through customs. There are sometimes long queues at Immigration to buy visas though I've gone virtually straight through the last couple of times but if there big queues just go to one of the other desks and explain you have a short connection to make and they will usually let you use another desk. or if you are really struggling for time ask ground crew or KQ customer service to fast track you through Immigration.

Once you have got your bags and gone through customs bear left as you leave arrivals then go straight across the car park, you will see Domestic Departures in front of you, its less than 100 metres, you and your bags then go through scanners and the baggage drop desks are right in front of you.

On your return journey you do not have to collect your bags they are transferred automatically for you."

Edited: 12:35 am, March 11, 2013
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
2. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

I have always found Kenya Airways helpful. Inform them on the international flight that you have to make it across to Domestic quickly.

As you have been told above, you MUST get your baggage and clear customs with it and take it over to Domestic. It will not be reweighed as you should already have your boarding card. However, it will go through security to enter the Domestic terminal.

Liberec, Czech...
3. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

thank you so much, I appreciate your quick and helpfull answer.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

The only people I know who have missed the connection are those who didn't clear their luggage through Customs in International Arrivals and then had to go back for it...!!

They were told in London that it would be transferred for them and despite our advice, preferred to believe the London people!!

5. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 13, 2014