We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presidential election outcome.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
Presidential election outcome.

Kenyan media reports that Uhuru Kenyatta/William Ruto have won. Formal announcement at 11:00am local time.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 24
31. Re: Presidential election outcome.

It will be very interesting now to see how the Kenyatta and ICC case plays out. Now, as it seems the elections have passed relatively peacefully, tourism can pick up if that is possible with the current world economic problems.

Hopefully when Kenyatta ends up at the Hague he does not try put blame on the west which might then impact on tourism again.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
32. Re: Presidential election outcome.

Well according to Bloomsberg.......

"Kenyatta and Vice President-elect William Ruto, 46, are accused by the ICC of masterminding clashes after the last election, in 2007, that left more than 1,100 people dead and forced another 350,000 to flee their homes".

So what happens if he is found guilty?

Dartford, United...
reviews: 26
33. Re: Presidential election outcome.

"You are not Kenyan Yankari and it might take you a century before you understand how it works in this part of the world, sorry"

That's probably what they say in Zimbabwe too.

London, United...
34. Re: Presidential election outcome.

"We are all Kenyans split by just political inclination".

It was a bit more than political inclination" during 2007 when all the machete's come out.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
35. Re: Presidential election outcome.

I read an opinion piece in the Nation a few days before the election where the person said that the opinion polls were irrelevant and that Kenyatta would win in the first round, the reason being that if people voted along tribal lines as they almost certainly would, that Kenyatta and Ruto had a block of 6 million tribal votes between them and that would give them a start that Odinga would find almost impossible to make up. The more I saw and the more I thought about it the more I thought he was going to be right.

When you watched the results coming in constituency by constituency and saw one of the two principal candidates polling 90 odd percent and the other picking up a few scraps, it certainly seemed the case. I even saw a couple of constituencies where a candidate polled 100%.

I'm afraid you don't have to live here a hundred years to understand that Kenya is very far from 'one tribe' though it may have taken its first fumbling steps along that route. If it was you wouldn't need social media campaigns like the one my profile photo is from to try to persuade people it is one tribe.

The new government certainly will have to reach out to the coast, no-one is celebrating here and there is a lot of disappointment and even fear and despair.

Let's just hope that the new peaceful spirit holds through the next few days when Odinga goes to court.

Edited: 11:12 pm, March 09, 2013
Manchester, United...
reviews: 72
36. Re: Presidential election outcome.

Interesting reading all the comments on this post, either way I don't think it will affect the majority of people who spend each day trying to survive on less that $2 per day, no proper health service nor "free" education for the children but they have the 2nd highest paid MP's in the world.

Would be great to think that the 2.000 children attending the Feeding Station in Kikambala in rags every Sunday would now have food on their table, be able to go to school without being sent home weekly as they need examination fees etc whilst their mothers give birth in less that ideal conditions.

Congratulations to the people of Kenya for holding a peaceful election but lets see some help now for the 46% of people living well below the poverty line.

Over to you Mr Kenyatta !!!

Edited: 4:59 am, March 10, 2013
37. Re: Presidential election outcome.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 12, 2014