We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 38
Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

We arrive late in Nairobi - BA flight gets in at 19:20 and we fly out the next day at 18.00. So we have the morning and early part of the afternoon to see something of Nairobi. I would like to stay in the Karen district, visit the elephant orphanage and maybe the giraffes -then have a congestion free drive back to the airport. But..my husband desperately wants to see Nairobi City + preferably step outside the hotel + walk around for a couple of hours. Could anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in the centre that allows us to walk around + get a taste of the city ( we could the get a taxi to the elephant orphanage for the morning)

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
11. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

I live in Nairobi,and try to avoid the center as much as possible. I agree that you should stay near the airport. You'd enjoy visiting the Daphne Sheldrick

Elephant Orphanage much more.Nairobi traffic can be truly awful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 104
12. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

We also arrive on the late BA flight and head to Tanzania the next day. We have not made flight arrangements yet as we are considering hiring a driver. I have posted separately but I believe for about $300 you can have a driver drive all of you to Arusha which is the starting point for most safaris. The 4-5 hour ride seems pretty logical compared to airfare for 2 or 4 coupled with the time and expense to get from JRO to Arusha.

Michigan
reviews: 42
13. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Visiting the ellies at the public time is a great idea. But if you are headed out on safari, I'd skip the giraffes. Basically, what you will see at the giraffes, is a couple of them that will come up to a platform and give you a kiss. We have a zoo near here that has a similar type of experience - give them a giraffe biscuit and they give you a slimy lick. Better to see them in the wild. The ellies, I wouldn't miss.

If you choose as Larissa mentioned, staying at a hotel, then heading out and back for a quick bite and luggage pick up, from my experience, I'd skip the Ole Sereni. I have a separate review on the hotel. The only restaurant to eat in had extremely slow service, pricey food and it wasn't very good. I would think you'd be better off visiting the ellies, having lunch in some place near there, then head back to wherever you chose to stay, pick up luggage and then on to the airport.

Kenya Thika
14. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

The Intercontinental will spice you up.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 154
15. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Heron Hotel is good in city center

16. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 29, 2014