We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 38
Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

We arrive late in Nairobi - BA flight gets in at 19:20 and we fly out the next day at 18.00. So we have the morning and early part of the afternoon to see something of Nairobi. I would like to stay in the Karen district, visit the elephant orphanage and maybe the giraffes -then have a congestion free drive back to the airport. But..my husband desperately wants to see Nairobi City + preferably step outside the hotel + walk around for a couple of hours. Could anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in the centre that allows us to walk around + get a taste of the city ( we could the get a taxi to the elephant orphanage for the morning)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

There's Hilton, Inter Cont., Sarova New Stanley & Fairmont Norfolk.

Slightly cheaper is Boulevard.

London
2. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Thank you - those hotels all meet the criteria...

One further question? Which of these options would you do? Are we going to have problems with traffic?

1. Stay in Karen - spend morning seeing giraffes and elephant orpanage. 12.00 get driver to take us to central Nairobi, stop off a few times + walk around.

Return to our hotel at 15.00 to pick up luggage + go on to airport for 18.00 flight

2. Stay somewhere central like the Hilton. Spend early morning walking close to the hotel. Get taxi to take us to elephant orphange for 11.00 then visit giraffes .

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
3. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

If you have a flight at 1800, you need to be at the airport by 1600. From the city you need to leave by 1500 at the latest. Karen possibly 1430. If you stayed at the Hilton or Stanley, walk between 0700 and 0900. Allow an hour to get to the elephants. Elephants from 1100 to 1200. Then giraffes, lunch and straight to the airport.

Please don't underestimate traffic in Nairobi.

I personally would stay in Karen and avoid the CBD all together.

London
4. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

TY Roadwarrior - you reiterate my thoughts - need to convince my husband.

He wants to 'experience' Nairobi - he wants to see the bad traffic

+ walk around + see what it's all about. Normally, I would agree with him, but we are only in Nairobi because BA changed the time of our flight + people have said centre to airport could be up to 3 hours on a bad day! One question: Do we need to leave earlier from Karen than central to get to the airport? My brief look at things I thought Karen was closer + avoiding all the congestion?

Oakland, CA
reviews: 153
5. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Allow extra time. Roadwaror is right, leave even earlier thatn you are planning. My trip from nr Karen to NBO took over an hour. The first 45 mnutes were stuck in traffic, and the last 15 at breakneck speed. It simply want worth the aggravation and worry while we sat in traffic, even if we did make it on time.

Also, , NBO is a dismal place to have to wait around. Apparently there is a branch of a Nairobi coffee house there with wifi. Wish i'd have known that. Maybe someone else here can share that info.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
6. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Where is your flight to at 1800?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
7. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Simply put - the traffic is a horror for you to do 2 things.

You can only do one thing - either go to Karen or go to City Centre - PERIOD !!

Go to City Centre & risk catching your connecting flight.

In fact, you should be heading out to the airport straight after lunch.

London
8. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Thank you - we leave at 18.00 for Kilimanjaro. I understand that we should not try to do too much. Basically I have 2 teenagers and myself that would like to go to the elephant orphanage + a husband who wants to see Nairobi city. We are going for a week safari in Tanzania + he has also done safari before - so he has different priorities to us! Can't please everyone!

Can someone tell me respected time to the airport from Central Nairobi and Karen please? Thank you calinurse for your info - I was thinking the traffic was less from Karen to airport. It sounds like either way we need to be on our way to the airport by at least 2.30.

Mombasa, Kenya
9. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Traffic in Nairobi is unpredictable and I would not leave it later than 2.30 pm to start heading off to the airport from either Nairobi or Karen. I personally see no attraction in Nairobi city centre and if your husband wants to see bad traffic, he will see it anyway! :) I would go to see the elephants, possibly before that see giraffes (but not after as you will have no time - check opening time of giraffe centre, maybe they do not open till early) and thereafter lunch and straight to the airport. If you do not see Nairobi you will not miss anything, honestly.

Depending on your budget you can stay close to the airport in Ole Sereni or Eka Hotel (both on Mombasa Road approximately 15 min from the airport before you enter the city). Thus you would be able to check out in the morning, leave your luggage there, go wherever you plan to go, pop in on the way back to the airport to collect your luggage and possibly a spot of lunch and head off to the airport.

With Nairobi traffic you do not really have much time to do more than that.

Hope your plans will come together well :)

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

London
10. Re: Best hotel for a taste of Nairboi City on stop-over.

Brilliant plan - thank you Larissa!